Author Topic: Garlic….where are you purchasing it from this year?  (Read 3100 times)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Garlic….where are you purchasing it from this year?
« on: October 03, 2023, 19:30:21 »
I didn’t have a very good crop from my Franchi garlic like year, 3 different varieties. This year they are asking almost £7 for three bulbs. I’m missing Wilcos badly already, I used to get my shallots and onions from them 😢😢
Where is everyone else sourcing their garlic from this year? I’m tempted to try supermarket cheapies!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Vetivert

• Half Acre
  • Sussex
Re: Garlic….where are you purchasing it from this year?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2023, 22:52:25 »
I'm hoping our association can get us a good deal; potatoes and garlic are ridiculous this year.
But £7 retail for three seed garlics is quite a good price, considering organic bulbs work out to around £1.50-2.00 each if bought by the kilo.
King's are going for £6.50 for two!

IanDH

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2023, 13:04:58 »
Missing Wilko so wandered to "The Range"  where found garlic bulbs and over-winter onion sets at 3 packs for £5.  Packs by De Ree - Dutch company?

All sound and firm.  Now waiting to be set.

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2023, 16:05:21 »
I bought garlic, 2 bulbs cost £8 including postage. I also got overwintering onions 25 red  and 25 white for £6 including postage. I planted the onions a week ago and only 1 showing. Lifted one today and roots are forming. It will be interesting to hear how everyone else's  are getting on and in the spring how they are going. Good luck all. I will remember the range, B&M as only 1 garden centre here and it's well expensive. Good luck all.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2023, 10:55:52 »
Missing Wilko so wandered to "The Range"  where found garlic bulbs and over-winter onion sets at 3 packs for £5.  Packs by De Ree - Dutch company?

I’ve never been to a Range store and didn’t think there was one in Derby by I did a search and founded one! Will have to have an investigationary visit!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2023, 12:46:14 »
Ive purchased a couple of bulbs locally from a small shop ( one step up from market stall, and 20 loose cloves from Premier seed direct.  Dont know if either will do any good but as you say, prices are very sill and TBH, we eat little garlic.
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

IanDH

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2023, 12:55:44 »

I’ve never been to a Range store and didn’t think there was one in Derby by I did a search and founded one! Will have to have an investigationary visit!

The Range also have a large store at Burton on Trent - so not too far from Littleover.  It is across the road from B&Q on Wellington Rd

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2023, 20:20:25 »
Picked some up at Malvern a couple of weeks ago, planted alongside my Wilko's I got before they closed... just coming through!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2023, 13:20:00 »
I’m thinking it will be a while before I’m planting mine…..it was 35 degrees in my allotment greenhouse this morning! I shouldn’t moan about warm weather at this time if the year I suppose……😂😎

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal