Author Topic: a question for the no diggers  (Read 2225 times)

ACE

• Hectare
a question for the no diggers
« on: September 17, 2023, 11:00:34 »
I have recently filled my new raised beds with several tons of well rotted, inadvertently making me a no dig gardener. I don't have the room I used to have on the plot to grow masses of crops, so instead of a pint of broadies  I got a small packet, there were still more than I need to fill one of the raised beds. So are  the planting spaces  the same or can I cram a few more in the enriched beds, there is between 15 to 20 inches depth of manure on carboard over the natural soil level. The beans will not go in yet as I grow them in carboard pots first. I'm going to have the same problem with the onion sets soon.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: a question for the no diggers
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2023, 18:27:17 »
As I understand it you can grow everything more closely together in raised beds filled with fertile soil and compost.   However, you may get smaller crops, especially with brassicas such as Savoys and caulis which will produce smaller heads - no bad thing when there are just the two of you.
Obxx - Vendée France

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2023, 18:41:48 »
Yes, raised beds with good fertile soil as yours is can be planted closer together just as Obelixx says except for brassicas. Gives us much more per square foot from vertical croppers :)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2023, 20:08:26 »
If I was faced with this problem I would plant out my plants in a chevron pattern rather than straight rows. This would ensure that each plant would get maximum growing space.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2023, 20:53:13 »
I grow most things closer than advised and get good results….I recommend Caroline Foley’s book ‘ How to plant your allotment’ which looks at the research behind planting patterns  and spacing and how to manage beds to get the optimum crops year round.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2023, 09:10:05 »
With most crops, you will likely get roughly the same aggregate weight of produce for the area regardless of whether you plant them a bit closer or wider than "normal". There is only so much nutrients and water available. But with closer planting the size of the individual produce will be smaller (carrots, onions, cabbages, etc), which may suit you anyway. I get told off if the onions are too large.

I used to plant out two climbing French beans to a cane, but now use only one (poor germination rates) and the overall crop is not worse.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2023, 09:47:59 »
I only use raised beds and, even tho some are long, I plant in blocks rather than rows which means you can gain a bit of space for each plant by offsetting every other row so the even rows are staggered between the odd rows.
Obxx - Vendée France

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2023, 10:48:12 »
I plant in blocks rather than rows, which means you can gain a bit of space for each plant by offsetting every other row, so the even rows are staggered between the odd rows.

This is what I was meaning when I said "Chevron Pattern"

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2023, 13:49:19 »
Me too, I call it my number 5 pattern, ie like a number 5 on a dice, you can get 18" or whatever distance between each plant in a smaller space. Ideal for broccoli, sprouts etc in a raised bed

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2023, 14:14:48 »
The technical term for this pattern is quincunx. A very efficient use of space - a honeycomb creates an array of quincunxes.

OTOH I would like to see this innocuous term misused as a term of abuse in Parliament - the sections of the house least likely to recognise it deserve to be confused - as most of them are only involved in creating a massive waste of space. Nuff said.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal