Author Topic: White fly!  (Read 2278 times)

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
White fly!
« on: September 16, 2023, 16:06:18 »
All over the brassicas. Suggestions?

Do the "control eco friendly" sprays work? I really don't want to start boiling garlic, it makes everywhere in the house stink  :blob9:
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

IanDH

• Not So New ...
Re: White fly!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2023, 13:15:42 »
I also do not enjoy boiling garlic.  Have been using a mix 2-3 tablespoons horticultural soap, 10ish drops peppermint oil made up to 1 litre for spray.  Has worked OK - does need reapplying every week or so and the heavy rain does not help.  On the plus side smells much better than garlic spray.

Has also been stopping voles eating the beetroot.

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2023, 15:20:30 »
With the eco (and other sprays?) the liquid has to make contact with the pests, so effective spraying when they are on the underside of leaves or in curled over leaf edges is difficult. My Tuscan kale gets a little white fly most years and to be honest unless it's too much, I live with it. Wash the leaves well, what's bad about a little more protein and don't tell the vegetarians.

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2023, 12:39:58 »
 :toothy10:
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2023, 12:43:23 »
Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll have a go.  Just hate to see those white clouds erupt every time I go in the cabbage tent

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2023, 20:52:27 »
This was the first year that all my tomatoes got whitefly. I don't think it had a huge effect on the yield, but the plants were so sticky - horrible to handle and I'm always annoyed by tomato leaves velcro-ing their leaves together, but this time it was a real nuisance.

I may have to smuggle my wife's Dyson into the polytunnel next year - to keep the buggers down.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal