Author Topic: Raspberries (Autumn)  (Read 2364 times)

IanDH

• Not So New ...
Raspberries (Autumn)
« on: September 04, 2023, 13:13:46 »
Hi All

I am looking to change varieties of raspberries that I grow.  Particularly looking for Autumn varieties.  Currently have Autumn Bliss and am looking for a couple of other varieties to supplement these.  On a practical side would like varieties that grow no taller than 6'.

Based in South Derbyshire on heavy clay - only 1 spit of soil over clay pan.  6.5 - 6.8ph. 

Will be looking to plant up over winter.  Any ideas of varieties that I can look at?

Ian

Tulipa

• Hectare
Re: Raspberries (Autumn)
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2023, 13:28:46 »
I grow Joan J, they are the best flavour, prolific and make the most amazing jam. They start cropping in July and can go on until November and need very little care as they don't need tying in.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2023, 14:26:48 »
I'm in Derby, similar soils type. Still growing "Autumn Bliss".

small

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2023, 15:16:49 »
I'm in Derbyshire too. After reading on here how easy Autumn Raspberries were, I got some Joan J, only half a dozen plants. They are in a patch of clay-ey stony ground right against the west facing house wall. They are the most amazing things, gorgeous taste, go on for ever, bounce back every year despite being infested with couch grass and bindweed, and have slowly but surely spread so I know have about 20 plants. Honestly, they are miraculous.

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2023, 21:29:01 »
Hi Small, lovely to hear someone think the same as me :) :) :)

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2023, 00:01:21 »
I second your post, small,  pretty much word for word, although luckily no bindweed or couch grass - oxalis is my bugbear! I planted  my 6 Joan J about 10 years ago against West facing wall too. Very prolific with huge luscious berries year after year - far superior to Autumn Bliss. Only disadvantage, for me, is that they tend to send out an awful lot of suckers into my neighbouring raised beds.

Tricia  :wave:

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2023, 22:01:43 »
The conventional wisdom is that raspberries don't like being waterlogged especially in cold conditions.  So anything you can do to break up any underlying clay is likely to be beneficial.  Otherwise I'm with the others,  Joan J has always been superb for me.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

Vetivert

• Half Acre
  • Sussex
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2023, 14:45:34 »
If you're looking for something to supplement Joan J (which certainly appears to be very highly regarded) then I would recommend Allgold for flavour. The berries are yellow and so the birds seem to ignore them entirely.

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2023, 15:14:11 »
The yellow berries are attractive when served mixed in with red ones, but by themselves look weird!

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2023, 10:10:21 »
We have Yellow Autumn raspberries on our plot. Sadly I don't know the variety as we inherited them.  They start fruiting late June early July, then the second flush starts around now till november.  The get no care, are behind the shed and weed crowded with grass. would love to know what they are.   :blob7:
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2023, 23:13:44 »
Another vote for Joan J (also in Derbyshire and on clay) as long as you can keep them away from couch grass before you plant them. My last plants only lasted three years because although I planted in what I thought was a cleared couch free area ( by me) and kept it topped up with an annual mulch they lost vigour very quickly and were a nightmare to weed as so shallow rooting. They have bigger berries than Autumn Bliss and are a bit taller, but both the red and yellow varieties of Autumn Bliss are very tough and have very flavourful smaller fruits. Grow both!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal