Author Topic: My new set up since giving up my allotments.  (Read 1229 times)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
My new set up since giving up my allotments.
« on: August 02, 2023, 13:02:47 »
Hi Guys

It was raining this morning and as there was very little I could do outdoors I thought I might show you how I have developed my back garden in order to create a little of what I did on my allotment.

Firstly I brought up 8'x6' greenhouse and removed my old cold frame which was getting a bit worse for ware anyway to make a space for it.

Then I converted a small area alongside it to grow a few bits and pieces. This year, it was;

1)Raspberries and climbing French beans against the trellis.

2) I tucked a root of Rhubarb that I had fetched up from the allotment in the corner in the corner.

3) Grew a few Sturon Onions from seed in a bread tray, sadly they suffered in that 5 week spell of very hot weather we had in June.

4) I tried some Strawberries in the same manner but never got a Strawberry (Will try a different method next year)

5) I managed to get a few Cauliflower my daughter gave me. These fared very well!

6) I was going to plant Sweet Peppers and Aubergines in a bed in the 8x6 but changed my mind and put them outdoors in my herbaceous bed (under my fruit trees) but these are not doing as well as I would have liked.

7) I grew radish & lettuce between the temporary paths I made alongside the 8x6 greenhouse. They went reasonably well, but the variable weather did not help!

8) I have added views of the inside of the 10'x8' heated greenhouse which I use mainly for propagating due to the poor light I get due to the3 metre high hedges my neighbours have developed over the years.(apologies for the untidiness) The lack of light did not trouble me too much in the past when I had my allotments, but things have changed now, so I have hacked back much of the hedges as I dare, so hopefully I will be able to grow a bit more in this greenhouse next year.

As I have mentioned in the past, I am experimenting with my homemade potting compost, so I tended to do the experiments in this greenhouse when I was not propagating.

As you will see, I am propagating a few perennials on the hotbed, which incidently is not switched on with a view to filling other parts of my garden with less labour-intensive plants now that I am getting on a bit.(85)   

I hope you like what you see, and I hope some of you might get some ideas from my experiences. Tg

ps I am going to try and put up a largish amount of images in the hope that they will appear. If not, what I will do is perhaps put them up in batches (fingers crossed )

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
Re: My new set up since giving up my allotments.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2023, 23:05:09 »
Thank you for posting these photos Tee Gee😁 Your garden looks great!!
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2023, 09:04:54 »
TeeGee, I just hope that all of us can be doing what you are doing when we reach your age (not so long for some of us, a bit longer for others!).  Your photos are amazing and really interesting.  How you manage to  keep all those balls, or pots, in the air, I can't imagine!  Well done, and may you continue producing for a very long time yet.

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2023, 12:47:13 »
WOW! TeeGee, that is really something. Absolutely fantastic.. Any prize from the TOP shelf  :icon_cheers: :icon_cheers: :icon_cheers:
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2023, 18:13:18 »
Impressive Tee Gee.  You are clearly very organised and get good results for your efforts.  Well done you and yes please, carry on growing and posting.
Obxx - Vendée France

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal