Author Topic: Gooseberries quality amazing - quantity awful  (Read 1276 times)

davholla

• Hectare
Gooseberries quality amazing - quantity awful
« on: July 13, 2023, 08:58:53 »
Yet again despite being netted my yields were bad this year - this had one berry

20230710_181508 by davholla2002, on Flickr

This one I have pruned very badly and there are some berries but they are painful to harvest any ideas?

20230710_181525 by davholla2002, on Flickr

This was the best so far some are still ripening
20230710_181514 by davholla2002, on Flickr

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Gooseberries quality amazing - quantity awful
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2023, 14:32:29 »
How and when do you prune them?

I find that growing the plant/s in a 'goblet' shape "U" allows air around the plant/s.

(It also makes harvesting easier too)

With due respect, looking at the base of your plants, there seems to be an issue with a proliferation of grass.

That along with the relatively dry season we have this year may be a reason for your poor crop.

For example, this year my crop is terrific, but sadly the berries are only about half the size they would be in a wetter year. :BangHead:

This is how I cultivate my one and only plant/bush; https://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Content/G/Gooseberry/Gooseberry.htm

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2023, 16:42:47 »
How and when do you prune them?

I find that growing the plant/s in a 'goblet' shape "U" allows air around the plant/s.

(It also makes harvesting easier too)

With due respect, looking at the base of your plants, there seems to be an issue with a proliferation of grass.

That along with the relatively dry season we have this year may be a reason for your poor crop.

For example, this year my crop is terrific, but sadly the berries are only about half the size they would be in a wetter year. :BangHead:

This is how I cultivate my one and only plant/bush; https://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Content/G/Gooseberry/Gooseberry.htm
I pruned them in the winter and tried to get a goblet shape, the grass was partly because when netted I was hard to weed them but I will remember that for the winter and water them more.

picman

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2023, 10:06:24 »
We had a decent crop 8 lb off 3 bushes , I only net them when the tiny fruit is just forming, ( picture ...If that is the net you use , seems too heavy , you only need to keep birds from stealing them )

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2023, 05:50:48 »
I had three gooseberry bushes initially. Like a couple of yours, one never produced any fruit so I got rid of it. Another sickened and died earlier this year so that has gone too. The remaining one is very productive and thornless which is such a pleasure after being lacerated trying to pick berries! It’s called Pax and I love it, so I’m hoping to start two more from it. I’m not sure what my conclusion is, except perhaps that the variety seems to make quite a difference, as well as quite ruthless pruning to keep fruit off the ground and the bushes open and airy.

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2023, 18:41:46 »
A few observations in no particular order.

One of the bushes looks rather small and possibly quite young.  Gooseberries do take a few seasons to get established and mature enough to produce good crops.

In my experience the varieties that are called thornless still have thorns.  Many fewer thorns than the worst sorts that can be truly vicious but not completely thornless in the way you can find completely thorn free blackberries and raspberries.

Pruning is a bit tricky to master and quite different to raspberries and blackberries. You need a structure based on a number of strong main branches, well spaced to allow plenty of air circulation.  In winter prune back most of the other growth to short stubs of two or three inches.  Gooseberries do not actually fruit on old wood but on short spurs on the old wood and at the base of last year's side shoots. In summer reducing the new growth to six or so leaves helps air circulation.

There are plenty of good varieties to choose from.  I've got a Pax, Xenia, Captivator and an Invicta.  I'd say the Xenia is best but not much in it.   The Invicta is the least sweet but in compensation always has that amazing gooseberry twang.

My only real advice.  Cut back the grass at the base as the bushes seem to have a lot of competition and planty of muck around the base as a winter mulch.

Not mad, just out to mulch!

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2023, 21:28:19 »
Thanks by muck what exactly do you mean? Well rotted manure?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2023, 21:58:43 »

Over the years I have found 'Horse Muck' best as it generally has a fibrous texture whereas other animal can be quite wet. So if you have a riding stables nearby it might be they will be pleased to give you some FOC to avoid them getting involved with tipping charges.

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2023, 22:44:09 »

Exactly.  Well rotted horse manure would be perfect, as TG suggests.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal