Author Topic: Vegepod  (Read 1009 times)

shambasarfi

• Quarter Acre
  • Growing vegetables in our back garden
Vegepod
« on: May 15, 2023, 10:15:14 »
We went to the Chelsea Flower Show for the first time last year and towards the end of the day came across this Vegepod stand and ordered the medium sized one.  Vegepods are ideal for someone in a wheelchair, as they can be supplied with legs at the correct height.  We have the trolley version with lockable wheels and, as I have bad hereditary osteoarthritis in both knees, the height of the Vegepod means I don't have to bend at all.  They all com supplied with a domed lid with a sprinkler system and enviromesh to stop the bugs getting in.  It also has a water storage tank below the soil and keeps the plants watered by capillary action.

Last year We tried sowing turnips, Kohlrabi and 2 cauliflowers in late June, but then we had that terrible heat wave and only got some turnips.

This year we've sowed 2 rows each of parsnips and beetroot, a row of rainbow chard and a row of spring onions.  I sieved the soil down the row where the seeds were sown and we've had 50 parsnips and 50 beetroot come up.  The rainbow chard and spring onions were sown later and are just starting to come up.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2023, 10:32:53 by shambasarfi »
When a man tries to drown his sorrows he generally makes his head swim!

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
Re: Vegepod
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2023, 21:03:19 »
An uplifting post.

The delight you can get from growing is astonishing.  From allotment plots of 20 poles through to vegepods as described you get far more from gardening than just the produce. I know that the crops from my allotment provide a good financial return for the rent and other costs but I couldn't put a price on the simple pleasures of being there seeing it grow.

Wishing you every success.

Not mad, just out to mulch!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal