Author Topic: What is the current best peat free compost?  (Read 1264 times)

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
What is the current best peat free compost?
« on: May 09, 2023, 11:20:54 »
By the end of 2024 retail sale of peat containing compost is to be banned (the professional horticultural industry's ban does not come into operation until 2026 or possibly in some specific cases until 2030). With this in mind I went to my local big supermarket today to see what compost was available peat-free . There were the usual brands like Levingtons and Miracle Grow and a couple of bags had bust so you could look at the compost that was in them. They didn't resemble anything like what I know as compost, in fact  they were more like finely shredded bark and felt extremely dry!
I tried some peat free compost many many years ago but it didn't look like this and quite frankly wasn't impressed with the growth I got  then compared to good quality peat containing compost. However I assumed that since there is a ban on peat coming up it would be much better by now but the look and feel of it today  put me off.
What are people's experiences with the modern peat-free compost and what do they think is currently the best one?

Harry

• Quarter Acre
Re: What is the current best peat free compost?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2023, 11:40:49 »
By the end of 2024 retail sale of peat containing compost is to be banned (the professional horticultural industry's ban does not come into operation until 2026 or possibly ...
What are people's experiences with the modern peat-free compost and what do they think is currently the best one?
Sorry, I've nothing to report on peat free, but I'll be looking to snap up any peat based stuff that MIGHT get sold off cheap.
TheRange did have some in stock... But they d**n near doubled the price. https://www.therange.co.uk/garden/seeds-bulbs-and-propagation/compost-and-soil/multi-purpose-garden-compost-bale/?position=11&s=63816#63816

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2023, 12:22:27 »
Our allotment association supplies have stocked peat-less composts for a couple of years now. I have used two brands:

- Happy: compost and grow bags. A bit coarse and could go "porridgey" in pots

- Melcourt: RHS approved, rather finer, looks like traditional compost but a different texture to the touch.

Both worked well for me last year in most cases and for some uses I mixed them to have a better consistency for the purpose.

This year has been less good as I have repeatedly overwatered seed trays. I think the colder weather hasn't helped, as the plants aren't lapping up moisture, but I find it hard to know how wet the compost is until too late. It looks dry on top but is waterlogged below. Careful potting on has rescued most of them, at least until I water them again. I think I will try adding perlite or grit to the compost.

Both brands are much better than the alternative composts I've bought in previous years. They are more like the coir composts (which gave me the same watering issues).

I believe Happy have withdrawn from the retail market as they had peat stocks to use up and can only do that as a horticultural grower supplier.

We buy stock in conjunction with another nearby association. Strangely, while this year we ordered only peat-free composts, as a great majority of our members were buying those, the other association bought up as much peat-based compost as it could as that was the clear preference of its members! I believe we transferred our unsold peat-based compost to them.

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2023, 20:35:43 »
Yes Paulh I think a lot of allotmenteers and gardeners will need some persuasion to switch to peat-free particularly because of its poor reputation in the past. My allotment currently sells both forms and it will be interesting to get feedback as to what they allotmenteers think about the peat-free compost they have purchased.
I don't drive (my wife died 21 months ago of cancer and she was the driver) so I am quite dependent now on deliveries of big stuff like compost unless family or friends are available to help me. However today I visited a local family hardware store a mile away by bus and ordered three 70L bags of peat-containing compost (at a reasonable price!) and they delivered it this afternoon!! Interestingly they say they only sell compost with peat in it at the moment, I suspect because people are reluctant to buy the peat-free stuff. Its a brand called Ambassador that I have never heard of before but it looks OK in terms of structure. Lucky I have a small family hardware store not too far away as they are disappearing fast!

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2023, 10:19:33 »
We tried some peat free Tomorite Grow bags for tomatoes a couple of years ago. Awful result. The plants were small and struggling, going yellow.  Had to jiggle about t=with MgSO4 and fertilisers to get htm back on track.  I will not willing ly use again.  Trying to get enough matter in the composters to make us self sufficient.  :wave:
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

Harry

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2023, 11:05:00 »
Trying to get enough matter in the composters to make us self sufficient.  :wave:
Me Too, and I've cracked it, this year. Fact is, one household that's frugal won't create enough kitchen waste and one allotment won't create enough garden waste. We savvy composters need to 'acquire' extra....

1... Get free or cheap horsemuck on FB Marketplace. (Beware Grazon)
2... Ask your neighbours for their grass clippings
3... Ask local tree surgeons for their woodchipping waste
4... Sawmills for their sweepings up
5... Cafes for their green waste.
6... Scoop up dropped leaves around your housing estate or any similar suburban area.
7.... If the council cut grass on suburban estates, they seldom scoop up the clippings. Fill your boots.
8.... Blag Cardboard (and pallets) from workplace or tradesmen (plumbers/kitchen fitters are good)

You need to make it advantageeous for them to favour giving it to you.
1.... Horsemuck is hazardhouse waste, so stables will be glad to see you collect it. Do them that favour!
2.... Quirky, but get to know when they cut the grass and put your collecting bin convenient for them. Cut yours at the same time. Give them some free produce. Share a fourpack of beer over the fence on cutting day.
3.... They will be glad to get rid, but won't want to waste TIME, so be where they are when they are creating it.
4.... Help them sweep up?
5... Arrange them a set-aside place which you vigilantly clear. Provide them with suitable bags or bin. This is one of my TOP sources.
6.... You'll look like a loon, but sod it. Use a trug and a big builders bag to fill your car boot.
7.... You are doing your neighbours a good deed :) They'll think you're nuts.
8.... Again, you need to make it more convenient for them to give it to you.

I've got 1,2, 5, 6, 7 and 8 sorted and get Masses of ingredients, in a good balance. It's a bit eccentric, but so is self sufficiency. We get it. Let the suckers that don't get it be our donors.
Free produce is helpful in encouraging donors. Doesn't need to be much.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2023, 16:53:16 »
My way; 1.... Horse muck is hazardous waste, so stables will be glad to see you collect it. Do them that favour!

Harry

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2023, 20:40:17 »
My way; 1.... Horse muck is hazardous waste, so stables will be glad to see you collect it. Do them that favour!
Indeed. I blagged fresh stuff for £0 and the donor even bagged it up for me and loaded it into my car.
For £1 a bag, another guy loaded me up with 5 year rotted stuff that went straight to work.
The concept of paying 10p per litre for compost, soil or anything, from the garden centre is just oh, so unthinkable to me now. I aspire to never buy compost again AND have enough to do some no-dig,

That and doing a deal with a local cafe, has seen me grow a really big and balanced heap in just 3 months.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal