Author Topic: Dahlias - Plant out yet ?  (Read 2108 times)

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
Dahlias - Plant out yet ?
« on: May 04, 2023, 09:24:59 »
This year I am really getting into Dahlias  :blob7:  I have stared off lots of tubers in large pots in my porch and they are doing well ..like about 8" tall shoots . Two with flower buds ! I want to ask when is the best time to plant them outside ?  It is a bit warmer down here in the far south of Cornwall , just a little bit mind . Thankyou in advance . Debbie  :coffee2:
Trespassers will be composted !

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Dahlias - Plant out yet ?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2023, 09:26:26 »
Should be safe now in Cornwall... especially if near the coast.

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2023, 09:31:10 »
Thanks Saddad , I can't wait to see them in their full glory blooming !   :coffee2:   I will keep a fleece at the ready though .  Thanks again   :wave:

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2023, 10:30:05 »
I agree with Saddad, but then again it seems to me that with this so called Global Warming you can get many types of weather in the one day. So yes, have the fleece at the ready!

This is how I used to grow my Dahlias https://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Content/D/Dahlia/Dahlias.htm

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2023, 13:13:41 »
I leave mine in the ground now - 2 years running - and so far only a few are showing foliage coming through with many more still shy.   The new ones, planted in pots in the polytunnel, are only a bit further ahead.

I think you should be OK but it has been unusually cold here at night and we still have the Ice Saints to come in mid May so be cautious and check your forecast for wind chil as well as actual frost.
Obxx - Vendée France

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2023, 10:56:51 »
Left too many of mine in the ground last year, and lost them... even some in the pots in the greenhouse were frosted.

InfraDig

• Hectare
  • Rochester, Kent
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2023, 11:47:34 »
Snap!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2023, 12:56:15 »
We cover ours in th egorund with teh straw and so on from the hen house plus any strimmings and grass cuttings.  That seems to help with protection but there are still some not showing and I've no idea if that's cos they're slower to get going or just dead.  Another week or two should clinch it as it's going cool again here but we've had a dribble more rain so swings and roundabouts for plant growth.
Obxx - Vendée France

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2023, 08:09:22 »
Thanks for all your thoughts . I'm thinking maybe .....I'll start planting next week 🌞🦋🌿

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal