Author Topic: Just when you thought your rhubarb had died……  (Read 817 times)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Just when you thought your rhubarb had died……
« on: May 03, 2023, 14:16:39 »
I had 5 crowns of rhubarb in a bed near my shed, one purchased Pink Champagne and 4 Victoria I had grown from seed. All fruited well last year but quickly stopped producing and withered away. In the hot summer despite watering and thickly mulching the crowns looked a lot smaller and frankly dead. The bed was too dry, being sheltered by the shed, so I decided to create another permanent rhubarb bed in a less sheltered bit of the plot. I covered the old bed in thick black plastic and left it overwinter until now……
Today I noticed a tear in the plastic and on further examination the rhubarb was not only alive but had been forced and had a load of lovely pink new growth! I took a pic after I had already picked a load of stems for a rhubarb and custard tart, so it looks like I’m going to end up with two rhubarb beds!  :sunny:
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: Just when you thought your rhubarb had died……
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2023, 16:03:16 »
I wish I could grow it here but it hates the heat and just dies in the middle of summer. Third go this year, from seed, in a very shady bed - fingers crossed.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: Just when you thought your rhubarb had died……
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2023, 16:53:15 »
I have found rhubarb likes a lot of mulching.  I put piles of weeds underneath it.  Everything except stinging nettles.  Dandelions are particularly good.
My best patch is behind a jostaberry which seems to allow the sun onto the rhubarb early in the year but keeps it shaded later on.   The jostaberry likes the mulching as well.
I am a fan of Timperley Early, I like the flavour.  I put a dalek style compost bin over it, it keeps it warm early in the year.  The stems end up .75 of a meter tall.  The green leaves come out of the top.   
Is it possible to put a rhubarb crown into the refrigerator or freezer during the heat of the summer? 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal