Produce > Edible Plants

Seed Saving Circle 2023

<< < (2/50) > >>

galina:
Jang, I would also like to join again.  Have replanted carrot Solvita for growing to seeds and also hope to be able to add an interesting pea.  No doubt more seed saving will be happening along the year, but a pea and a carrot are definitely on the plan, all going well. 

Happy growing everybody.  Our box from last year is a treasure I love dipping into and sowing.  Several of the new to me tomatoes are up and getting to transplanting size, despite a very cold spring.  Have prestarted Thelma Sander's today also and will try my very best to save seeds this time! 

JanG:
I'm delighted, Galina, that you're up for participating again. I'll be very interested to hear of the progress of the second year of your Solvita carrots, having never tried seed saving with biennial root crops. Have they started to throw new green shoots?

Like you, I'm growing most, if not all, of the rich range of tomato varieties from last year's circle. I've just today dared to move tomato plants to my unheated greenhouse as it looks as though here in the East Midlands we could just about escape without another frost.

Good luck with Thelma Sanders. My record with cucurbit hand pollinating is very poor. My only successes to date have been Crown Prince and Delicata. Must try harder this season!

galina:
Well, the Solvita carrots came through winter fine in a box of sand in the basement and I still had all 44 carrots by spring.  Which I planted out.  For some reason only 31 came up and a couple with red foliage which later perished.  Still enough and way more than the 20 plus that are necessary for saving good carrot seed. 

Right now they are getting ready to start flowering.

galina:
Also hope to save seeds from a lettuce, Rossia.  Very crisp and crunchy.  I sowed late last year.  These lettuces stayed over winter in the greenhouse, no mildew, and we have been picking the outside leaves for months now.  Rather than bolting, they just make more leaves.  Long since planted out in the garden and doing good, with big crunchy heads, loose leaves on the outside and a tighter centre. 

JanG:
Exciting news on your carrot. What kind of carrot is Solvita?

Your lettuce sounds amazingly resilient. I have lettuces I sowed this spring which are already nearly in flower so the resistance to bolting of Rossia is a great advantage. Except perhaps when you’re waiting to produce seed!
I’ve been looking into lettuce varieties which are heat resistant and I get the impression that varieties which are cold resistant are also sometimes good for not bolting in summer. It would be interesting to know whether Rossia is so obliging in summer too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version