Author Topic: Hullless Pumpkin seeds  (Read 965 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Hullless Pumpkin seeds
« on: April 16, 2023, 13:22:06 »
A few years ago I grew some pumpkins for seeds, but managed to loose most of them to rats.  I found using shop bought pumpkin seeds for eating was the best.  The germination rate was poor but I only want a small number of plants. 
Can anyone recommend the best tasting pumpkin seeds available? 

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
Re: Hullless Pumpkin seeds
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2023, 06:19:45 »
I haven’t grown pumpkins from seeds meant for eating but have had reasonable results with Kakai, which is sold for growing. The seeds are green and hullless, but the yield of seeds isn’t huge.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2023, 10:03:46 »
I was given some seeds by someone from A4A but they unfortunately did not germinate.  So in the end managed to get a few from a supermarket packet to take.  They grew well and I think they had plenty of seeds but they were devastated by rats.  So I now know I will need to net them and ripen them on a window sill.  I was only left with one and it produced quite a lot. 
No idea of the variety, but presume it was selected for good seed production.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2023, 14:47:37 »
I love pumpkin/squash seeds and I've tried all the hull-less types - hoping to find one as tasty as the hulled seeds I get (as a by-product from the normal pumpkins and squash I grow for the flesh). None of the hull-less ones come out anywhere near the excellent snacking flavour of shelled 'normal' pumpkin' seeds.

OTOH. Hull-less are worth buying for using in recipes - in bread making, brioche & cakes (a few whole, mostly as flour via the coffee grinder - where they can provide the oil for the bake as well as flavour) - the 'flour' can also be used with mayo to make a convincing (and cheap) guacamole when avacados aren't available.

My snacking strategy is to choose your next year's pumpkins/squash by the size of the seeds - (the same mouthful for half the shelling) -  that means medium to large fruits. eg. it's obvious that marrows' & butternuts' seeds are too small (though it is possible to crush VERY fresh seeds with a rolling pin, pick out the husks and eat the delicious mush - even easier with melon seed).

The best variety I ever found for seed size and flavour was a huge blue one called "Cerrano" from Ecuador - sadly there's been no UK source for at least 20 years and my own seed-keeping failed to keep them true,  and then they started producing seeds with no germination at all. Galeux d'Eysines have probably the best seeds and flesh but you need a very hot summer to reach their best (for flesh).

There was a time when I would grow normal pumpkins/squash then eat the seeds and give (or even throw) the pumpkin away - but I now use the flesh grated into coleslaw and kimchi. Kimchi is a Korean pickle and it's especially useful as it's the only way I can use a whole medium pumpkin or squash before it goes mouldy (provided I have enough pots - fortunately pickles can survive being opened many times - this means I can use & re-use the 4L & 6L plastic jars sold for olives - and easily eat the kimchi long before they are anywhere near going off).

Just recently I've found I can now enjoy cooked pumpkin by mashing it with orange sweet potato (even better with nutmeg). Bizarrely, the combination of two foods blander than carrots can combine to make a mix that's as good if not better than carrots.

If (like my wife) you like pumpkin flesh you won't notice the difference, but if you find pumpkin bland, and orange sweet potato not much better - then you will be amazed by the combination. Try it.

Cheers.

PS. the flesh of all the hull-less types is really horribly bland - IMHO only fit for the compost heap, (I doubt if even pigs would eat it).
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2023, 18:58:46 »
I have one packet of particularly nice pumpkin seeds.  They seem very variable, I got one germination from about 6 seeds so I will try again.

If you do not like pumpkin flesh try Honeyboat squash.  But I will try pumpkin and sweet potato together.  I quite like sweet potato, ginger and stinging nettle, as a fried pattie.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal