Author Topic: Squirrel?  (Read 1641 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Squirrel?
« on: April 02, 2023, 09:10:08 »
I went out and checked my seed trays this morning.  A couple of broadbeans had disapeared.  Whatever it was came back and has devastated my broadbeans and alderman peas.  I presume it was a squirrel.  The aldermans were just about ready to plant outside.
I was going to do it today.  Pain

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Squirrel?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2023, 08:23:48 »
It's usually mice...
on the subject of squirrels... I saw one of our resident foxes with a dead squirrel, taking it back to it's cubs on the allotments the other day...

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2023, 08:44:23 »
Hi Ya, did you have your seeds in a greenhouse or outside? I have mine in a greenhouse but suffer with mice. How they get in I don't know as the windows are are shut etc. Last year though I had the vents open and behind my tomatoes I heard some movement and found out a squirrel had got in though the vents and helped its self to my tommies. Mice are suprisingly agile as they had to climb up a mini greenhouse stand to get to the tops shelf where the beans were. I actually trapped one which is how I know. I think they get in the vents or not I don't know but have not seen any holes they could use and I know they are in the garden from next door. Any way good luck and my fingers are crossed for you. Take care and happy gardening

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2023, 15:39:51 »
My lottie neighbour has caught (not literally) a pigeon on his broad bean seedlings on trays in an open greenhouse...

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2023, 21:36:05 »
Mice can get through incredibly small holes.  The hole in a ring pull can looks tiny but but piece of cake to a mouse.  They are very flexible and can stretch too.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2023, 19:20:39 »
What ever it was chewed holes in the netting bags covering the module trays.  I had 8 runner beans in one tray and filled it up with 4 broadbeans and whatever it was ate all the broad beans and did not touch the runners.
I only know the squirrels like broad beans I have watched them eating them.  But this time I have not seen it.  But a few weeks ago we have a squirrel down our chimney.  It was luckily blocked by a spark guard.  I was trying to figure out how to get rid of it without it escaping into our sitting room.
I left while I thought about it, but when I came back it had gone, presumably climbed back up the chimney.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal