Author Topic: Improving clay soil in raised beds buy buying stuff.  (Read 2513 times)

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
Improving clay soil in raised beds buy buying stuff.
« on: March 15, 2023, 19:48:54 »
I've got some raised beds which are a bit heavy and clayey and want to improve them for the growing season. I haven't any rotted compost available at the moment. We cleared the whole compost bin last year and put it on the other beds that have done well. I want to buy something that I can put in to improve the structure in these remaining beds ASAP.
Adding bagged potting compost seems a good idea but rather expensive. I though bagged soil improver/topsoil would fit the bill but for some reason its more expensive than potting compost!
Anybody any ideas where I could get something and what it would be?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2023, 19:53:51 by George the Pigman »

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Improving clay soil in raised beds buy buying stuff.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2023, 20:19:46 »
How about some straw?   For our hens' bedding we can buy long or short straw in bales and the latter would add lightness and air to your soil and also rot down over the season.  Cheaper than compost.
Obxx - Vendée France

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2023, 20:35:52 »
For the last three years I've spread thinly / lightly forked in the contents of a couple of used grow bags over the bed where I grow salads, radishes. carrots and other such. It has made a noticeable difference to the soil texture and the residual fertiliser has helped growth too. So unless you happen to have some used grow bags to hand from last season ...

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2023, 22:23:54 »
Paulh we have the same idea
 I always recycle the used compost from my pots, hanging baskets etc to put on the plot. Unfortunately that's all gone on the other raised beds.

pumkinlover

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2023, 07:51:37 »
Is there a composting facility near you.
I've not used it but I've seen the stuff available and it comes in bulk so a lot cheaper and no plastic bags. (I am trying to reduce plastic )

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2023, 12:26:43 »
The stuff from our local tip is £12 a ton collected but free delivery if it is over 3 tons. Get another plot holder or two and order for the group. It is only called soil improver as it has to pass certain tests to be classed as  potting compost etc. But judging from what I have seen in branded bags the bar is not that high. Mine has always been better than I could buy in bags. It is dusty stuff and needs digging in quick as one swift breeze will share it with next door.

jackofspades

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2023, 22:43:55 »
Try :
www.pro-grow.com/compost/loose-loads/c123
About £12 tonne plus vat &delivery

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2023, 19:56:40 »
We get regular deliveries of woodchip because the tree surgeons prefer give it away - the alternative is to pay the council to take it. That could change if any company is prepared to pay for it.

In the meantime my chip goes into 1 spit trenches to rot down while I use it as a path (and put the topsoil I rescue onto the raised beds - which on my slope are actually terraces).

However if chip was riddled out, the larger chunks could go straight into the soil as a free supply of gravel (made of wood) - because these big bits rot so slowly that they steal hardly any nitrogen*.

It's all down to the square/cube law - when the chunk is twice as wide it is 8 times the volume & weight but only 4 times the surface - 1mm twigs rot over 10x as fast as 1cm prunings - sub-millimetre sawdust & most leaves could be 10x faster still.

Since 2 years in a trench hardly touches the prunings, the sawdust could steal all the nitrogen for a week and give seedlings a real famine, followed by months of short rations as the twigs decay.

Anything is better than solid clay - so as long as you avoid fine (brickies) sand you can use sharp sand from a builders' merchant or gravel, & even anything except the coarsest grade of aggregate mix - all permanent fixes for clay - anyone who says these contain salt is wrong - it's all been washed out because salt totally ruins concrete or any cement mix.

Gypsum can have an instant effect on clay, but the grade they sell for the job is expensive and can be made ineffective by too much inorganic potassium.

If you've got a really bad patch of clay it's worth trying crushed plaster or even plasterboard (from your nearest skip). There should be enough gypsum to make a quick difference and the lumps will behave like gravel and can't do any harm - especially if you are adding other stuff as it becomes available.

Cheers.

*The smaller stuff rots quickly & harmlessly in the trench/path - but beware of walking on it in wet weather - it can turn into sawdust quicksand,,,!
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

Harry

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2023, 13:21:29 »
I've got some raised beds which are a bit heavy and clayey and want to improve them for the growing season. I haven't any rotted compost available at the moment. ...

Anybody any ideas where I could get something and what it would be?
Filling raised beds is super expensive, which puts me off.
You don't mention well rotted manure. Check out Facebook marketplace, freegle and freecycle where someone will surely be giving it away or flogging it cheap.
Well rotted, mind. And have them verify the never used Grazon on their pasture (You can test for it)
Maybe look into https://www.growveg.co.uk/guides/how-to-make-hugelkultur-beds-for-growing-vegetables/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal