Author Topic: Keeping my Hand in  (Read 3821 times)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Keeping my Hand in
« on: March 12, 2023, 12:55:27 »
This morning I took a few photos of what I am growing this year;

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Keeping my Hand in
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2023, 14:35:18 »
Edibles, ornamentals or a mix Tee Gee?

I have tomatoes, chillies and musk strawberries germinating on heat mats indoors and some onions and beets in trays in the polytunnel but, so far, no onions germinating.

Is there a secret to germinating onions cos I've had no success with spring onions at previous attempts?  I've sown some Apache spring onions plus Italian red onions and some pink onons like Roscoff and hope they'll grow.   No extra heat but the PT is light and warm by day and they have a cloche to keep temperatures and humidity even.     Meanwhile, outside, the onions sets planted in November are all thru and groing well and the garlic planted in February has suddenly poked thru and grown 2 to 3 inches in the last week.
Obxx - Vendée France

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2023, 15:50:26 »
A mixture e.g.   

Pic 23 =3 Varieties of Tomato

Pic 24= Sweet Peas, Geranium, Lettuce

Pic 26=Lupins

Pic 28=Sturon Onions

30=Chrysanthemum cuttings+

My sweet Peppers and Chillies have just nicely germinated, will leave them for a few days more before I pot them up.(Top right pic 27)

I have sown my Sturon Onions in cells this year and put them on the hot bed. As I recall, they took around 10 days to germinate.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2023, 17:24:25 »
Thanks Tee Gee.  If this lot fail i'll try onions again on teh heat mats when the tomatoes and chillies are all ready to pot on.
Obxx - Vendée France

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2023, 16:48:05 »
I got Rose De Roscoff germinated in the propagator in the conservatory. Now moved to the bathroom window . The tomatoes from the bathroom window are being moved to the conservatory. I'm  warming the compost pots in the propagator as the compost has been outside on the patio and the shock to the plants if I just dumped them in would be severe. Spring onions germinated in the propagator, but not many. They were a few older seed I had left over. I've still got acorn squash stored in the greenhouse, but they will have to come out by month end. Tee Gee's stuff always looks brilliant x
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2023, 10:51:13 »
Well done.  Looks like you are keeping busy.
I have grown onions from seed for the first time this year and the first batch was very slow.  Then my daughter wanted some spring onions, so I put those on top of a radiator and they have sprung up like weeds. I would like an electric propagator but there is simply no electricity supply near my windowsill. 

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2023, 12:58:17 »
A few days ago I transferred my tomato and chilli seedligs to covered shelves in the polytunnel and moved the modules with onion seeds to the heat mats.

I have my first onions!!   Just a few so far but very encouraging.

Thanks Tee Gee and Digeroo.
Obxx - Vendée France

Harry

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2023, 09:49:50 »
I have grown onions from seed for the first time this year and the first batch was very slow.  Then my daughter wanted some spring onions, so I put those on top of a radiator and they have sprung up like weeds.
I've only just tried onions from seed, a few different varieties each had wildly different propagating time, with some not propagating at all. All sown in the exact same conditions. :( Ailsa Craig worked best for me.
I like the radiator idea, but how do you stop them drying out? Mine didn't seem to appreciate getting watered and I reckon some rotted/drowned.

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2023, 05:52:46 »

[/quote]
I like the radiator idea, but how do you stop them drying out? Mine didn't seem to appreciate getting watered and I reckon some rotted/drowned.

You’re absolutely right that the degree of wetness is really important. It works well to water the seed tray well to begin with - I like to water from the bottom - and then maintain moisture levels by putting the tray inside a plastic bag. That should stop the warmth of the radiator drying out the compost.

Your varieties which didn’t germinate might just have been less viable seed. Onion seed needs to be pretty fresh to germinate well.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2023, 12:58:22 »
Looks amazing

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal