Author Topic: Onion setts  (Read 2890 times)

lezelle

• Acre
Onion setts
« on: February 26, 2023, 10:07:23 »
Hi all, Due to medical problems I was unable to plant my overwintering onions. I was wondering would it be ok to plant them now along with my others? Has anyone done it before? thanks for advice

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Onion setts
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2023, 11:43:32 »
Worth a go as they'll be wasted otherwise.    If they feel a bit soft and withered, soak them in cool water for an hour or so to rehydrate them.    Works for me with small flower bulbs like crocuses.
Obxx - Vendée France

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2023, 13:41:22 »
Thanks Obelixx, I will give it a go. They have been left in a sealed plastic box so hopefully will not be to de hydrated. They have been down the lottie in the shed in the box since I got them so will have a look tomorrow' Thanks again

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2023, 17:18:19 »
If they are mouldy and soft when you squeeze them I’d compost them, otherwise I’d try them in modules to root and then plant them outside when they are showing good roots and some top growth.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2023, 13:48:34 »
Alison cell sowed @500 yesterday... Wilco's used to bag in 50's, but are now done by weight... getting 125-150 per bag.

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2023, 13:56:08 »
Hi All, I opened my box and got a surprise. The onions and garlic have been sprouting like mad. I am going to pot some on and see how they get on. I'll pot them on into the greenhouse. I had about 20 onion setts that were still firm and the rest are in the compost bin as advised. I will give them a go as I have nothing to loose. My summer onion setts will be sent to me this month so looking forward with some hope. The weather has been up and down and can't make it's mind up what to do. Oh well keep going it's still early. Good lick to all.

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2023, 13:45:01 »
I got ours planted in Autmn. Never trued them before and to be honest, they don't look great. Doubt I will try them again, but if your sets look healthy, give 'em a go. Good luck! X
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2023, 16:03:56 »
I planted some sets in early to mid November Tiny Clanger.   They took ages to get going, stalled all thru December to early February but now have shoots about 6" high.

Did myself a damage in late November so didn't get the garlic planted out till February, just before a very cold, dry spell, and that has finally shown thru in the last few days and seems to be on speed - 2" in just 4 days.

I've sown seeds of pink onions - like Roscoff - and some Italian reds in modules in the polytunnel as I've had no great results with red onion sets in the last decade or so.
Obxx - Vendée France

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal