Author Topic: Fettling up the polytunnel  (Read 2842 times)

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
Fettling up the polytunnel
« on: February 19, 2023, 12:27:01 »
I'm not sure this is a bona question for this site but here goes: The cover on the polytunnel is a bit sad and new gauze needed for windows. Would it be possible to take out the old window and sew in some new mesh? I need to sew I new "tie up tapes too. I have suitable tape. I have a Silver Sewing machine but I think my old Frister Rossmann would be more up to the job. Can anyone advise on needle gauge, thread and optimum stich length to work on the green plastic stuff of the cover?  :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Fettling up the polytunnel
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2023, 18:16:52 »
spray on fabric glue for the, mesh, plastic pegs to hold it open. I sprayed the mesh back on mine., the wind ripped it to bits but the mesh stayed stuck.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2023, 20:27:17 »
If you wanted to try the sewing I’d use a leatherwork needle for the sewing machine with 100% synthetic thicker thread and use 3mm stitches with a slightly looser tension on the bottom. I’ve never tried to sew those sorts of fabrics together but I have stitched leather to lurex before for a costume and that worked!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2023, 00:23:07 »
I sewed up the scaffolding holes in debris netting years ago with ordinary sewing cotton and it rotted quite quickly so just wanted to say don't use that but something synthetic to last better. :)

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2023, 16:11:00 »
Thanks everybody.  Lots to think about there. A chum reckons I could try clear nail polish on the rips in the mesh.  Me? Nail Polish? Nope - she's a "Lunch Party girl - nothing that will damage the expensive nail job! I had to explain that I would have to pop and buy some  :toothy10:  Going to make a start in the next 2/3 weeks.  Bestest and thanks again xxx :blob7:
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2023, 20:40:32 »
I've sewn up sails with dental floss before now, really strong and hard-wearing - but they were only in the sun for a few hours a day for a few weeks a year - beware of sunlight on any manmade fibre unless it's choc-full of UV inhibitor.

Any heavy thread used by professionals for sewing shoes, saddles etc will be OK - ask your local cobbler! If they use natural fibres its probably waxed.

Cheers.

PS. on a vaguely related subject I've just found a delivery note for my last polytunnel cover - it was 2013, and it's only got a single 50cm crack where the sharpest fold was when it arrived (also the sunniest - I should have put that fold on the shady side) - all the other softer folds look good for another 5 years.  No problem at all anywhere it rubs on the frame (but my frames are nice cool plywood arcs on top of straight 4x2s - nice to know I got that right).

The secret is buying plastic covers designed for latitudes like 35deg. - the decent stuff they have to use there has at least twice as much inhibitor than UK rubbish made for 50deg. - I don't want to advertise anything so if you're interested just google "almeria polytunnel covers" and dig down on any UK polytunnel firms that show up - at least one should specify the origin of their source.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2023, 13:50:38 »
I've sewn up sails with dental floss before now, really strong and hard-wearing - but they were only in the sun for a few hours a day for a few weeks a year - beware of sunlight on any manmade fibre unless it's choc-full of UV inhibitor.

Any heavy thread used by professionals for sewing shoes, saddles etc will be OK - ask your local cobbler! If they use natural fibres its probably waxed.

Cheers.

PS. on a vaguely related subject I've just found a delivery note for my last polytunnel cover - it was 2013, and it's only got a single 50cm crack where the sharpest fold was when it arrived (also the sunniest - I should have put that fold on the shady side) - all the other softer folds look good for another 5 years.  No problem at all anywhere it rubs on the frame (but my frames are nice cool plywood arcs on top of straight 4x2s - nice to know I got that right).

The secret is buying plastic covers designed for latitudes like 35deg. - the decent stuff they have to use there has at least twice as much inhibitor than UK rubbish made for 50deg. - I don't want to advertise anything so if you're interested just google "almeria polytunnel covers" and dig down on any UK polytunnel firms that show up - at least one should specify the origin of their source.

Thanks for that, I've got waxed thread. Not sure either of my machines will take it, but I have sacking, sailmaker and semi circular needles that I can try with hand stitching -if the arthritis permits. If you can't advertise openly, please message me with suggestions on suppliers. It would be much appreciated. X  :wave:

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2023, 14:48:05 »
You can buy needles for Topstitching - sharp points and larger eye for taking thicker threads.  Otherwise try the largest size of needle for leather that you can find.
Obxx - Vendée France

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2023, 17:23:27 »
John James make an amazing assortment of needles if that is any help

https://www.jjneedles.com/

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal