Author Topic: not long now  (Read 2702 times)

ACE

• Hectare
not long now
« on: February 12, 2023, 09:32:40 »
Spring is sprunging. When I was on the Parks and gardens years ago we always started the seasons grass cutting regime on St. Valentines day. Mine could do with  trim now it is getting above 10 degrees most days. The tulip tree buds are showing a hint of purple, even the central heating did not click in last night. Time to put the long johns away and join the postman and get my shorts on.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: not long now
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2023, 10:59:23 »
Steady on Ace.   We too are getting double figures by the afternoon but it's still very frosty overnight cos of all those clear skies.  Long johns away now but not trousers and thick socks.   OH started mowing a few days ago - hard work as the grass and weeds are thick and lush at the mo.
Obxx - Vendée France

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2023, 14:32:45 »
Might be warming up on the I.O.W. but it is still blooping cold here.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2023, 22:48:53 »
Not even thinking about opening a packet of anything yet! -5 degrees in my greenhouse this week!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2023, 09:31:16 »
Well it is warming up here and I have sown a few toms, peppers and aubergines.  Also literally just threw some cucs, courgettes, squash, sunflowers and beetroot in pots indoors.  We have had a cold winter with over a week of frosts but I think that is the last of it now - should be 18c today and night time temps up to 8 or 10. The banana looks ruined but will regrow and my overwintering seasoning peppers might not come back.  Basically it is all systems go now.
Just of to the market to pick up a few seedlings - kale, cabbage, khol rabi - that sort of thing.  They are 12 for a euro and even though I love starting seeds off somethings are just easier to buy in.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

small

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2023, 15:31:55 »
Parsley in the propagator, lettuce in tubs in the greenhouse, I'm cutting right back this year and only growing in pots, but oh, the joy of getting started!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2023, 22:51:14 »
Brave you……It looks like I’ve lost  most of my overwintered semi hardy stuff in the greenhouse this year, hoping the dahlias, tree fern and cannas come through…..
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2023, 16:05:30 »
I am not sure we have seen the last of winter.  Frosts at night for me starting again Thursday.  Not been much sunshine.  Though colder night often means sunnier days.
I have mangetout snow peas on the go.  And sweet peas,broad beans, onions and sweet peppers.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal