Author Topic: Catching Up  (Read 3594 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Catching Up
« on: February 04, 2023, 18:28:26 »

Hi All,

After not growing anything last year in the beds due to the heat but having surprising sucess in the greenhouse i am trying to get more organised this year. Working from home 4 days a week will certainly help.

4 Beds were cleared out and i removed the top 4 inches of soil from 3 of the beds (1 still has some carrots in) and i left them to get a good frost and this week i have added fresh soil to the beds (black magic). The beds will be covered over with a plastic cover to A) stop cats pooping in there and B) warm up the soil.

Garden fence - Handy man is going to pop back and add new trellis to repaired fence panels and then i have various climbing fuiting plants to go on fence. Hes going to hammer in some tree posts as well in front of neighbours fence (its falling down) and i will trail some fruiting plants here as welll.

Greenhouse - probably had the most work done here in the last few weeks. Bought a plastic outdoor rug for in here as the concrete is freezing in winter and to hot to stand on in the summer. Husband has built 2 ikea shelving usings (baggebo) however hes made them upside down and with only 2 shelves (the other sheves for a back for the 2 shelves) to make a stand for more chilli plants to go. I have been in there cleaning and sorting and tidying over the last 2 weeks so its ready to sow seeds soon.

Seeds - currently cataloging and sorting these in line with what have done in the past, a free planner i was given and some advice from a you tuber which was amazing.

Tomorrow were planning more sorting and cleaning and using new rotary sieve (QVC Clearence deal) to clean up soil in one of my pots which will be having a new cluckleberry plant. I will be employing child labour to help me with this as shes now taller than me at 12 years old !

Cam

Tulipa

• Hectare
Re: Catching Up
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2023, 23:49:02 »
Hi Cam, good to see you back on here, you sound very well organised for the year ahead already. Hope it all goes to plan and you share some photos on here.  I can't believe your daughter is 12, where does the time go?  :wave:

pumkinlover

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2023, 08:40:16 »
Sounds like you have a good plan.

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2023, 17:45:30 »
13 soon and 5ft 5!!! haha thanks
been out all weekend and can’t move now :)

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2023, 20:43:41 »
Hi lovely to hear from you again. Wish I was as organised as you. It's hard to believe Harriet is almost a teenager. Where have all those years gone?  Still got allotment but seriously thinking about future.  Realised old age suddenly attacked me and I am still in shock.  Thinking of raised beds in garden high enough so I don't have to bend and buying in plants as I struggle seeing seeds. Moved plots so I was more visible to others but inherited the most horrendous marestail and brambles.  :BangHead: :BangHead

Let battle re commence.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2023, 21:17:46 »
Pleased to see you here again Cambourne.  My daughter passed my height at 13 and I'm 169cms.  She's now 180cms.

If it's any consolation Lottie Lou, mares' tail makes a great fungicide.  You squish it with your boots then bung it in a big bucket of water like making nettle tea and strain the contents after a couple of weeks.  Dilute and spray on plants to prevent damping off, mildew, peach leaf curl etc.   I wear reading glasses to sow small seeds now - and read the lables.
Obxx - Vendée France

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2023, 22:11:31 »
oh gosh 180cm !! Took harriet shopping for new school shoes and trainers as ones we got 6 months ago look awful but now i know why she’s gone up to size 8 shoes and size 9 trainers from a 7 in both eak !!

In greenhouse am planting seeds in heated propagator and so far peas and beans are popping up. But hit a bottleneck as trays for propagator so waiting for more trays to arrive. Purchased some fruit plants one being a chuckleberry which i have now taken out of the greenhouse and potted up. Husband came home with a packet of garlic and i have thrown them in around the edge of the pot haha

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal