Author Topic: Olive tree  (Read 2879 times)

pumkinlover

Olive tree
« on: January 29, 2023, 16:09:32 »
Has anyone bought one of these?
I would like one in a large container I have but they seem to vary from too small (but affordable) or large and very expensive.
Also is there an ethical supply problem? there was some mention of sustainability when I was googling a while ago, obviously don't want something lifted from the environment.

Paulh

• Hectare
Re: Olive tree
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2023, 17:01:10 »
Olives are basically a cultivated plant, grown from cuttings. I doubt they are being lifted from the wild. There may be an issue with groves being bought up for redevelopment but you could regard your purchase as a rescue then. The biggest threat is a disease (xylella) that is a very big problem on the continent.

I have a couple in deep 12" pots that are about 3' 6" tall - more like bushes than trees, I need to prune them into the right shape really.

I bought them some ten years ago when they were about 12" tall and looking rather sad on the remaindered bench at the garden centre. I couldn't leave them to go into the bin. Just a few quid the pair. They flower and produce a few small olives in hot summers though the blackbirds take them as they ripen.

Yes, something that is more finished will cost you from £50 up to really silly money!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2023, 08:21:47 »
I saw a large old one in a huge pot at a local Garden Centre , reduced! to £999....

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2023, 15:53:11 »

Also is there an ethical supply problem? 

When ever we needed an olive or any exotic for our show gardens. We would insist on  a 'plant passport'. Which should have country of origin, growers credentials, etc.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal