Author Topic: Main Crop Red Potatoes  (Read 3703 times)

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
Main Crop Red Potatoes
« on: January 13, 2023, 16:19:53 »
I've got my first/second earlies, some Caledonian Rose ( they do well in our soil) and some Desireé. I'm looking for another red variety to try. We tried Manitou and Sarpo Mira last year, it was OK, but they were not worth another go. Would welcome recommendations. Is Setanta a good one? X  :wave:
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

Plot22

• Half Acre
Re: Main Crop Red Potatoes
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2023, 09:58:57 »
I tried 2 rows of Setanta in 2019. Not impressed with the results neither was my wife as they tended to boil down in the water. I have given up on growing red maincrop they seem to attract eelworm and slugs too readily. I now grow Lady Cristi as an early, Kestrel as a 2nd early and Harmony as my only late. The Harmony cook well and on my plot at least and are not bothered by eelworm or slugs.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2023, 10:16:39 by Plot22 »

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2023, 20:03:39 »
Here is another vote for Lady Christl. I have grown them both in pots and in the earth. I grow them as an early but it doesn't matter how big they get chopped to size they still have a boiled new potato flavour, I just love them. Sorry for butting in totally off topic!!

And I just read the Whitchurch Potato Day is no more which is very sad.

And now I am having trouble finding any Lady Christl for sale too, I would remove this post but I am leaving it up for the news about the potato day.  I am sorry if I got anyone's hopes up!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2023, 20:17:51 by Tulipa »

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2023, 21:06:45 »
Thanks for the help. I grow few whites - except first earlies, reds do well in our soil. Will pass on the Setanta. Tried Sarpo last tear, not impressed. Will have to think about where to plant the peas soon x
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

Plot22

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2023, 08:37:15 »
Again off subject for which I apologise in advance but maybe a little bit of in formation for Tulipa. Three years ago the potato seed growers had a terrible  crop of Lady Christi hence the following years no seed was available. Fortunately I had saved enough of my own seed for one row. I extended this last year to two rows at the expense of our own usage . This year our association has listed them as available and one of our local garden centres has a limited number for sale which I have duly purchased. The association is £2.20 whilst the garden centre is £4. I edged my bets as the association have not yet contacted me to say my order is ready for picking up. I have looked on the internet and several sites still say that they are unavailable so maybe I am just lucky. I know what is said about saving your own potatoes as seed but in this case I was glad that I saved a row.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2023, 14:24:48 »
We find Red Dukes do very well on our heavy clay soil. Saw Caledonian Rose in Wilco's today... do you have any more info on it, parentage, cooking qualities, tuber size, growth habit... I find it best to ask people who have grown a variety rather than rely on the "publicity"...

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2023, 19:07:52 »
Replying to Plot 22, the internet is now peppered with my email on "email me when back in stock" but I think I am too late for that. I have found some from the people who used to supply the Potato Day as they have some

https://www.charltongardencompany.co.uk/flowers/First_Early_Lady_Christal_2kg.aspx

available for click and collect as they don't post out seed potatoes.  Seems my best bet.  I didn't grow any last year and my order the year before was substituted so I was getting very excited they seemed to be available again.  There are some on ebay apparently too.  I was getting desperate looking!!

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2023, 10:10:04 »
We find Red Dukes do very well on our heavy clay soil. Saw Caledonian Rose in Wilco's today... do you have any more info on it, parentage, cooking qualities, tuber size, growth habit... I find it best to ask people who have grown a variety rather than rely on the "publicity"...

I think parentage may be Desireé/Maris Piper. Did not experience disease problems and they did well in the drought. Even shaped oval tubers, easy to peel. Brought to the boil then turned down to "steady". Good for mash, as pieces, sauté. Not tried as chips as we eat few of them. We were very pleased and my husband loved the taste.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2023, 15:45:18 »
Might have to give them a try then... we don't chip either!  :wave:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal