Author Topic: Winter Prep  (Read 3600 times)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Winter Prep
« on: November 22, 2022, 15:41:07 »
As the title suggests, I have finally decided it is time to put my more tender plants undercover for the winter.

I am a bit later than usual this year simply because the weather has been so mild and lots of my stuff is still in flower as you can see in the second image.

I have tidied uo those plants that have finished flowering and put them into my cold 8x6 greenhouse for the winter.

When it is really cold I will throw a sheet of fleece over them!

Will start on the others, possibly tomorrow, although there is no hurry as they are in my heated greenhouse, so possibly a light trim and disbudding will do for the moment, and I think may as well enjoy the bit of colour I have while I can.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Winter Prep
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2022, 20:50:16 »
That all looks very good TeeGee.

On Saturday OH and I moved our citrus pots, cannas and fuchsias into the polytunnel for the winter and I moved the turmeric plants out of their pot and into the soil in there.   HE's finally got around to weeding and prepping bare veggie beds and I managed to plant the onon sets.

Been persisiting down since so I still have the garlic and some pointy cabbage plugs to plant out and the apple trees and, to add to the recovering knee which stops me kneeling yet, I've managed to put out a disc or something in my spine and have a trapped nerve giving serious problems in my left shoulder.   I've a history of stupid back problems but not for 10 years now so am feeling dischuffed.
Obxx - Vendée France

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2022, 07:01:39 »
Wow TeeGee, so organised and super tidy. I've got squashes in trays in the greenhouse but will have room to drag in the big tubs of arums and a couple of geraniums. At the plot the broad beans have germinated their quickest in seven years and the Japanese onions on a new patch looking good so far. Got half a dozen really good caulis that went in VERY late ready. Just need to check that I have all the seeds I need for next time. Hope next season is good for us all xxx
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

pumkinlover

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2022, 08:49:50 »
We have the same wet stuff here Obbelix. Hope that your back and knee improve soon.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal