Author Topic: Potaotes sprouting  (Read 3283 times)

pumkinlover

Potaotes sprouting
« on: November 13, 2022, 08:13:35 »
 :BangHead:

It's so warm .
Will have to check and rub off all the sprouts. I like to try and grow enough for the year.

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
Re: Potaotes sprouting
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2022, 21:09:12 »
It's an ill wind . . .

However carefully I dig spuds I always seem to miss a few that causes a real nuisance next year when they pop up as volunteers.  But not this year, the mild weather has resulted in those volunteers sprouting above ground allowing me to fork them out! 
Not mad, just out to mulch!

pumkinlover

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2022, 08:12:19 »
Heard a frog croaking last night.

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2022, 09:02:34 »
I've got violets in flower in our garden, and the dahlias are still in - wondering if I take them out before they float away, or leave them until they finally get frosted off?
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

pumkinlover

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2022, 07:20:00 »
I've left the dahlias in for the last few years, partly due to the lack of really cold winters and partly as they got so huge to lift.

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2022, 22:38:48 »
I'd be tempted, but the garden is clayey enough that I think rot would be an issue, sadly.
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2022, 20:20:22 »
What Potatoes are you growing Pumpkinlover ?
Trespassers will be composted !

pumkinlover

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2022, 08:31:07 »
What Potatoes are you growing Pumpkinlover ?

They are mainly Kestrel. We always seem to go back to them as do well. Next years Potato day order is in and as usual we have volunteered .

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2022, 09:53:24 »
My Kestrel sprouted as well (they usually do). Is it because they are a second early? My Pink Fir Apple haven't yet - I don't usually grow maincrop varieties as the slugs take two thirds of them, but I wanted to try PFA and they have done very well. I will grow them again next season and see whether it was just this year's weather that kept the slugs away.

pumkinlover

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2022, 08:20:42 »
I did wonder if relying on a second early so much might be the cause. They are just so blinking good!
Another problem I have is that every method I use to label varieties goes to pot when it comes to digging them up!!

pumkinlover

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2022, 07:24:52 »
Last minute second order went in to Potato day  yesterday to buy some more Maincrop potatoes.
If we get wet and blight hopefully the earlies will give a crop and the if it's another warm autumn the maincrop will see us through if the earlier don't keep.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal