Author Topic: Saving seeds - Moonlight beans  (Read 2146 times)

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
Saving seeds - Moonlight beans
« on: October 12, 2022, 14:58:08 »
After the drought my Moonlight beans went mad with a second flush. The first produced a very good quantity of beans considering the lack of water but enough were left on the plants to dry for a later seed harvest. Now there are a lot of huge beans which didn't get picked (too high! )that are still green alongside the already dried pods. Question - do I have to leave the still green pods on the plants until the foliage dies back or will they dry out if I spread them out on the greenhouse staging?

The Cobra beans succumbed to the drought  - no second flush but there are enough dried pods for sowing next year (and for the soup pot!)

Tricia  :wave:

Vetivert

• Half Acre
  • Sussex
Re: Saving seeds - Moonlight beans
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2022, 20:05:15 »
Have the pods finished growing? If they are still green but mature, you can pick them from the vines and leave them to dry elsewhere.
Even immature pods can produce viable seeds, though the seeds will look a little small and wonky  :wave:

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2022, 17:13:31 »
Bean seeds that are still green are dried and sold as flageolets - there are various uses for them - mainly because when rehydrated they are still more tender than beans dried after maturity.

If they are in the way or at risk from frost they're worth picking for cooking or drying.

Cheers
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2022, 10:18:16 »
I have taken to putting beans into those vegetable net bags they sell in the supermarkets.  Then i hang them on the radiators to dry off.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal