Author Topic: Weed Suppressant Fabric  (Read 2877 times)

Buster54

• Acre
Weed Suppressant Fabric
« on: October 03, 2022, 17:41:59 »
Hi I'm looking for recommendations for some weed membrane  100m roll x 2m 100gsm,theres loads of cheap stuff about but not for me,any help would be great thanks
I'm not the Messiah - I'm a very naughty boy."

Paulh

• Hectare
Re: Weed Suppressant Fabric
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2022, 09:35:06 »
Harrod Horticulture (nothing to do with Harrods) are good quality in my experience, though definitely in the "reassuringly expensive" bracket. They have what you want on offer at the moment - I think it would cost you about £150.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2022, 11:30:55 »
We use this company for our allotment needs plus they are relatively close by to you .
I have never used their membrane but from the write up it might be what you want.

https://gro-welldirect.co.uk/product/permatex-ground-cover-2x100m/ 

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2022, 10:15:58 »
Try a builders yard, they use mypex under gravel drives, Comes in very large sizes and very hardwearing.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2022, 15:17:58 »
All of them are appalling. Should be banned. Misnamed too, they do not work. It makes weeding even harder as you cannot get at the roots of any weeds which grow through and they do.
Gardening is the great leveller.

newspud9

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2022, 12:02:53 »
Hi,
I use Lawnscape Weed Control membrane.  Although I wish I could do it without using this type of material (if it shreds it's a nightmare), I don't have access to all the cardboard I would need. At least with the membrane, I can use fabric pins to get it in place securely. I get about a 95% success rate because if I don't cover up, then the weeds win every time

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2022, 11:57:35 »
Hi Ya,
          Looking at the pictures i think my weed control fabric is mypex with a green line running down it. I purchased it a long time ago and I'm pleased with it. I left it down and when I moved it to another location the ground was well weed free. I use it as being disabled I cannot always get to it. It dies fray if you cut it but I use a small flame gun and a piece of plank type wood with holes cut out to make my planting holes in it. A quick blast and it does the job. It does fray on the edges but a quick balst with the flame gun seals it a treat. I only use it where I grow my brassicas at the moment but i am considering using more. You have to handle it carefully, but I like it. Mind you the prices are astronomical compared to when I bought mine. They sell it on the web sites like ebay which is where I got mine. I don't think it was called mypex just weed suppressant material. Good luck all, I have just spent 2 hours weeding as the weeds have gone bonkers these last few days. You could also use black damp proof material but that doesn't let water though.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2022, 08:12:40 »
A good tip for making non fraying planting holes is an old tin fixed in a handle and a blowtorch to heat it up and melt your holes.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2022, 11:17:00 »
Yes, Ace I've been using a weed  burner for years to do just that! It has meant that the membrane lasts for years.

Tricia  :wave:

IanDH

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2022, 13:10:44 »
I discovered this when I used to keep bees on the plot (before the parish council instructed me to move them - whole other story) when I put the smoker down on the matting - left a lovely even round hole with nicely sealed edges!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal