Author Topic: Butternut squash with climbing tendrills.  (Read 1082 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Butternut squash with climbing tendrills.
« on: September 26, 2022, 15:57:10 »
My plot neighbour has grown a wonderful crop of butternut squash up a frame of bean canes.  It has done very well.  He has a variety with a lot of tendrills, so the plants supports itself climbing up the canes.  Unfortunately he cannot remember the variety.  The fruits are much bigger that he expected.
So my question is please can anyone recommend a good climbing variety with small to medium size fruits please.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Butternut squash with climbing tendrills.
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2022, 17:39:56 »
Sorry no, but if you have a framework for them you can tie in the stems, with or without tendrils, and keep the fruits off the ground and up in the sun where they ripen better.   If the fruits get a bit big, you'll need to support them with old tights or similar.

Obxx - Vendée France

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2022, 21:20:31 »
I grew butternuts again this year too and harvested 23 from 7 plants. Some are enormous weighing over 5kg (too heavy for my kitchen scales!) and hung quite happily after being tied on to the frames of my cheap obelisks early on. The plants which produced normal sized butternuts were bought in (just labelled Butternut so I don't know the variety) and were ready for harvesting very early. The foliage had died back completely by mid August but I left them on the plants to cure in the sunshine till my garden helper was back from his holiday. He came on 15 September, harvested and washed all the squashes then cleared away all the detritus in one afternoon besides clearing the sweet corn bed. I'm so lucky to have him  - I wouldn't be able to grow my veggies any more without his help! I still sow pretty much all the seeds for what I still grow,  tomatoes, beans, sweet corn, courgettes and squashes mainly, but he does the rest. Sorry! I've gone a bit off topic!

Tricia  :wave:
P.S. I think the very large squashes are  Waltham, they are rather elongated.

IanDH

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2022, 14:49:15 »
Most vine squash, inc. butternut  will climb.  I use stock fencing up a framework up and over a pathway and weave the growth through the fence.  Have grown Hunter and Waltham this year - both up framework and have not had to tie in either.  Uses less space.  The plants seem to recognise that the squash need additional support and the neck growth thicker than those on the ground.  Just need to make sure that the frame that you use can support the weight.

Hope that helps.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2022, 16:43:58 »
A bit thank you for your replies.  I forgot to mention we are having a problem with muntjac deer who have taken a shine to the growing tips.  So I need to get them well out of reach.  I have my eye on some hazel, so hoping these will make a good strong support.  And I also bought a cheap metal arch.  So I might buy another one.
23 from 7 plants is amazing.  What is your secret?  If I got 6 or 7 I would be well pleased.   I managed 1 barbara this year and about 24 honey boat (pepo), and quite a few tromba d'albenga. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal