Author Topic: Cutting potato seeds in half: good idea or not?  (Read 942 times)

cropping

• Not So New ...
Cutting potato seeds in half: good idea or not?
« on: September 24, 2022, 15:50:03 »
Hello,

I have a lot of people cutting their seed potatoes in half before planting, so they can essentially double the number of potato plants.
Does it actually work? Is it a good idea?

Thanks for your comments!

markfield rover

• Hectare
Re: Cutting potato seeds in half: good idea or not?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2022, 17:16:58 »
 My grandfather managed to grow potatoes from peelings with eyes and definitely cut seed potatoes  in half.

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2022, 22:13:43 »
Yes, indeed, it certainly works, and is a useful economy measure.

There are no major disadvantages provided you don't go mad.  Some varieties have nearly all the eyes at one end so try to ensure both bits have a few.  It is worth allowing a period for the cut surface to dry out in order to reduce the risk of rot and other diseases. Also the seed potato is the source of nutrition in the early stages of growth - make them too small and you will get a weak plant and low yield.

How small is too small though?  I've seen various recommendations on line.  No lower than about 2oz seems a popular choice.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

cropping

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2022, 22:49:11 »
Thanks all for your answers! I will try to cut them in half a day or two before planting them, then.

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2022, 09:59:27 »
Little to add to what Beersmith says. I cut a few each year to make up full rows, usually about a week before I intend to plant.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2022, 10:28:28 »
You do not mention if you chit your seed potatoes prior to planting, so may I suggest that you cut your potatoes (where required) at this stage, and they should be well cauterised before plating out!

Design the cut/s, so there is more than one eye on each piece!

It will also let you plan your planting out strategy well in advance of planting in case there is a need to purchase more seed!

In terms of size, I was advised many years ago to aim for tubers around the size of a duck egg but no smaller than a chicken egg!

https://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Content/P/Potato%20chitting/Potato%20chitting.htm

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2022, 18:22:43 »
Good advice TeeGee, though I find that my plans do not always survive first contact with the allotment. Sometimes the plants don't either!

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2022, 06:46:51 »
In terms of size, I was advised many years ago to aim for tubers around the size of a duck egg but no smaller than a chicken egg!
I have had quite robust plants from a seed potato somewhat smaller than a chicken’s egg, but would avoid going much smaller. So a good guideline but can be stretched a little in my experience.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal