Author Topic: Good luck with the incoming heat wave!  (Read 4872 times)

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Good luck with the incoming heat wave!
« on: July 17, 2022, 18:32:16 »
It's been pretty devastating here this month with temps as high as 46c in the shade.  Full sun as well has literally burnt a few things to the ground.  Luckily the toms, peppers and aubergines are all good but a lot of things have suffered - some will come back but some others are not so lucky.
Hope you guys are well watered and mulched.  Look after yourselves - at least we have air con here!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
Re: Good luck with the incoming heat wave!
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2022, 19:19:59 »
Churches a dust sheet over the greenhouse to try and shield the tomatoes. Watering every evening at the plot. Twice a day at home. But the lawn...........
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

Nora42

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2022, 20:57:34 »
slung up a few sheets of enviromesh and just plain ordinary netting for the crops in full sun fior more than six hours in the day time. it seems to have shielded most from th eharshest rays today and i hope it works tommorow. i wil let you know

Nora
Norf London

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2022, 14:49:03 »
Watered this morning, dogs walked early, curtains drawn on the big sunny window. No sea breeze today so it has all the right conditions for flying ant day. The telly has gone mad on heat warnings we never had any of that malarky out in the Persian Gulf when serving queen and country.

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2022, 14:53:52 »
Ants flying in North Warwickshire at 07:00hrs.
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2022, 17:02:39 »
This is my indoor/outdoor monitor

Indoor is as it says 38°C, out door is my 8x6 GH with door and all vents open.44.5°C

I guess the ambient garden temperature must be around 100 °F, 37.8 °C
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 17:29:05 by Tee Gee »

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2022, 17:39:49 »
30C in the kitchen which is the north side of the house and gets no direct sun.

The garden weather station says 47C in the shade!   The wind has swung round to the south and, even tho it's coming across the bay of Biscay it is very warm.  Apparently all the beaches on the south Vendée coast are deserted.

Obxx - Vendée France

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2022, 21:00:36 »
14 degrees at 7am whilst watering the plot, 25 degrees in the car going home at 09:39; greenhouse thermometer reading 37 degrees at 11am; car said 35 degrees going to aqua at 3pm, and 40 degrees when we went back an hour later!

The house feels relatively cool with all curtains and windows shut but we did put the chilling fan on about an hour ago as it felt stuffy. Will water the greenhouse nearer in a bit for the third time today! Like others have done I’ve slung done fine netting over my young brassicas and saladings in pots and modules  waiting to be planted on the lottie…..fingers crossed they survived! His Lordship has also got us two army neck cooling things that contain gel which swells up in cold water and keeps your neck cool, so I shall be utilising one of those in bed tonight!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2022, 16:35:32 »
It's hotter than Satan's posing pouch here in Oxfordshire. And I, God help me, am playing cricket in it at 6.

Should I keel over and cark it, please make sure that my ashes are forked in at an appropriate rate per square metre. 
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2022, 19:06:40 »
Thunder and lighting and the biggest raindrops I have ever seen, all over in 20 minutes but enough for me not to worry about traipsing around with the watering can. Hot again now but a lovely brisk sea breeze to sit out in.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2022, 19:43:27 »
Send some up here ACE....

pumkinlover

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2022, 07:35:28 »
It's hotter than Satan's posing pouch here in Oxfordshire. And I, God help me, am playing cricket in it at 6.

Should I keel over and cark it, please make sure that my ashes are forked in at an appropriate rate per square metre. 

Oh good heavens, surely it should have been postponed ? hope you're still around.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2022, 08:22:27 »
Help, there is strange stuff falling from the sky. Is it the end of the world?
Gardening is the great leveller.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2022, 08:50:52 »
Two hours of thunder storm quite some distance away in the small hours.  We had 2 minutes of rain!

However, the temperatures dropped by 20 degrees yesterday and it's just 21C now at nearly 10am so another comfy day in store.
Obxx - Vendée France

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2022, 11:24:22 »
Filled the water butts to overflowing, but the ground is still dust dry. Cool now.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2022, 11:35:11 »
No rain here in Derbyshire yet….40% chance later on this afternoon so hoping I won’t need to water the plot later on….🤞🏼
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2022, 11:40:49 »
Lucky you! Not a drop here in Torbay. All 6 water butts nigh on empty too and no rain forecast.  :BangHead:. A cool 21c and overcast today though.

Tricia  :wave:

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2022, 14:41:50 »
We went to the next town along this morning. They had no rain either. It was a very narrow set of clouds so we were lucky.

pumkinlover

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2022, 07:36:32 »
 :BangHead:Hurrah, gentle drizzle this morning.

Bit of a relief having watched the news as next door neighbour had a bonfire last night  :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead:

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2022, 11:31:03 »
I'm now assessing the damage.

I think I may have lost most of my apples.  The intense heat and sunshine has produced areas of damage much like a severe burn.  Where the apples had some shade and on the underside there is no sign of damage.  I have taken some pictures.  I'll post them soon.

Also lost one of my strawberry beds. Scorched. It hasn't helped that we were already in a prolonged dry spell.  There is talk of an imminent drought.  In my view it is already here.

Badgers have trashed my carrots and sweetcorn too.

:sad10:
Not mad, just out to mulch!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal