Produce > Edible Plants

Rabbits, pigeons and squirrels!

<< < (3/3)

saddad:
Thankfully we are mole, badger, deer and rabbit free here, Pigeons and tree rats are an issue...  but we get off lightly!

George the Pigman:
Wood Pigeons have been a menace on our site for decades. We have to net all the brassicas . They don't seem to bother about any other variety of plants though. Fortunately the crow/rook population has increased locally and that seems to have put the wood pigeons off nesting . Apparently the Corvids take pigeon eggs. Back home the wood pigeons delight in stripping the leaves off the lilac trees in the garden.
Being suburban Birmingham we don't get rabbits but we have been plagued with urban badgers of the last few years. These rougher, tougher and wilier relatives of the rural badgers delight in eating all our sweetcorn bashing it down like a tank.
Once had a mole on site that came in in the middle of someone's first early potatoes!
Of course we have the usual selection of rats mice, cats and urban foxes.
Our current resident fox ate one of our allotmenteer's chocolate bar he was going to have for a snack with a flask of tea. He had left if with his flask on a table. Of course being where we are the foxes will only touch Cadbury's!!!

Plot22:
We net all brassicas because of the wood pigeons. Last year we had 2 new foes first the badgers from a set half a mile away destroyed every bodies  sweet corn and the sparrows and robins nipped the buds of all but one plots peas. This year plan B for the peas. I have supported two rows of adjacent peas with barrier netting as normal and then encased the whole lot with bird proof netting keeping it 8" away from the barrier netting so the sparrow and his robin buddy cannot reach through to get at the peas. So far so good but it is a bit of a problem to weed as I have to get inside the netting via a gap I have left between the 2 rows of peas.

Vinlander:

--- Quote from: Plot22 on June 12, 2022, 09:29:30 ---Netting so the sparrow and his robin buddy cannot reach through to get at the peas..

--- End quote ---
No harm in that - if only because you can't stop a sparrow without stopping robins.

But I must say that robins are carnivores 90% plus, and it would be a huge mistake to think they are pests - if they want to get in it's to eat the maggots etc. - it may look like the pea has been targeted but you still couldn't have a better friend.

NB. The American robin is a totally different species - I've no idea what it eats.

Cheers.

planetearth:
Get a trap to catch the squirrels.  Put some peanut butter in the trap (possibly on a pear) and you will very soon have less squirrels.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version