Author Topic: Ashes to Ashes  (Read 2121 times)

Gardenantics

• Acre
    • Garden Antics
Ashes to Ashes
« on: April 07, 2005, 19:07:20 »
My father died some years ago, and was cremated with no religious ceremony, and a short time later I collected his ashes, and me and my mum scattered them along a rose hedge in his garden, He was a keen gardener, and started my interest as a small child by giving me some night scented stock to grow, that smell takes me back to that garden in the 60's. Anyway I saved the plastic container to put Fish Blood & Bone in, thinking my Dad would see the funny side.
I was using this container when the lady whose garden I was working on came over and said 'What are you doing?', looking in horror at my container. I set her mind at rest, and assured her that I wasn't spreading someones ashes in her garden. Had a laugh about it and thought of my Dad.
Not long ago I was working in another garden doing the same thing when the owner came over and said, I've a cellar full of them if you want any! He is the local undertaker, and part of his service is to get the ashes from the crematorium, and put them in a posh box for the family to deal with as they wish. I got a dozen off him, and use them for all sorts. Not squeamish at all, and if you are the same then pop into your local chapel of rest and see if they do the same thing. As my Dad would have said, "That's the ultimate in recycling"

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: Ashes to Ashes
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2005, 12:42:22 »
ooo what a good idea.  My dad was  cremated and 'planted' in the garden of rest at the crem alongside my great grandad, great nan, Unc and several family friends.  He would have loved the idea of his urn being used on the plot, especially as he loved the allotment so much.  We have a chapel in the next village....... I wonder......

Gardenantics

• Acre
    • Garden Antics
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2005, 18:06:48 »
Dear Emma Jane,

Go on you never get anything if you don't ask! They are a good size too, you can get a whole body in one.

Brian

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2005, 16:11:26 »
 ;D Brian!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal