Author Topic: Seed Saving Circle 2022  (Read 48241 times)

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
Re: Seed Saving Circle 2022
« Reply #100 on: October 03, 2022, 06:11:55 »
Isolating squash varieties can take some doing so your squash seeds are specially appreciated for that, Sparrow.

Hopefully the selection of seeds from the Circle will give an added boost next season to your obvious enjoyment in growing again after a pause.

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #101 on: October 04, 2022, 10:15:27 »
I have a courgette which I hand pollinated and would like to contribute seeds of. It fruited quite early in the season, perhaps by the end of May or early June. It has been of a large marrow size ever since then and pale yellow in colour but, as it was pale to start with, the change in colour isn't at all dramatic. I picked it about 10 days ago.

I'm not sure of the best way to treat it. Should I leave it to mature a bit longer off the vine? This excellent seed-saving series of videos - https://www.diyseeds.org/en/films/ -  recommends a month. If I do that, the seed will still have more than a month to dry out before the end of November which hopefully will be enough. Any advice from anyone who has more experience of saving courgette seed? I'd really hate to open it up before it's mature and viable after having watched it sit there for several months.

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #102 on: October 04, 2022, 10:35:12 »
I have a question do we stick to vegetables or can we add some flowerseeds?

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #103 on: October 04, 2022, 14:07:14 »
I think the seeds would appreciate post harvest maturing off the plant.  If the plant has been full size for some time, it isn't as necessary to keep it on the plant anymore.  For whatever reason post harvest maturing is a good thing according to what I have read, especially if the fruit is further matured in sunshine.  Not sure whether the plant sends a signal to seeds that it is now no longer on the plant, for seeds to mature that doesn't happen while on the plant.  I hope you can get the definitive answer JanG.  For what it is worth I have always been told to let seeds mature after harvest, in other words off the plant.  This is the sort of thing that Ben from Real Seeds could probably better advise on. 

ruud

• Hectare
« Reply #104 on: October 04, 2022, 14:27:54 »
This is what i have to share in the seedcircle till now.
tomatoes:grasa de bihor
               royal hillybilly
               croatie jeanne
               pine-apple pig
               pink icicle
               legend
               gogashary striped
               abraham lincoln
beans:     haricot mais
               la vache
               bosnian yellow
               squaw
               panther
aubergine: topan
peppers: mozart (sweet)
              demre-t ( sweet)
              yalova carliston (mild)
              menderes (hot)
There are some more beans but it depends on how quick they mature and dry.

Vetivert

• Half Acre
  • Sussex
« Reply #105 on: October 04, 2022, 16:01:05 »
ruud, beautiful list of vegetables there! To answer your question.. I'm not entirely sure but I have been planning to add some flower seeds this year.

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #106 on: October 04, 2022, 18:02:35 »
Ruud, like Vetivert I'm in favour of including some flower seeds. Obviously edible flowers are automatically included - nasturtiums, borage etc. But I'm feeling more and more that mixing ornamental flowers in amongst vegetables is very nourishing for the whole growing environment as well as for our joy in our growing.

And such a wonderful list of varieties. Nearly all new to me, so very exciting!

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #107 on: October 04, 2022, 18:07:22 »
I think the seeds would appreciate post harvest maturing off the plant.  If the plant has been full size for some time, it isn't as necessary to keep it on the plant anymore.  For whatever reason post harvest maturing is a good thing according to what I have read, especially if the fruit is further matured in sunshine.  Not sure whether the plant sends a signal to seeds that it is now no longer on the plant, for seeds to mature that doesn't happen while on the plant.  I hope you can get the definitive answer JanG.  For what it is worth I have always been told to let seeds mature after harvest, in other words off the plant.  This is the sort of thing that Ben from Real Seeds could probably better advise on. 

Galina, thank you for your answer. That certainly agrees with and elaborates on the seed-saving video I linked to above. Based on your experience do you think a month off the plant and a month to dry is about enough? I've just checked Real Seeds and they say a month or so. I could perhaps have picked it earlier but fingers crossed.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 18:10:55 by JanG »

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #108 on: October 05, 2022, 06:23:57 »
JanG that sounds a very good plan.  Plenty of time for seed maturing and for seed drying. 

ruud

• Hectare
« Reply #109 on: October 05, 2022, 11:28:44 »
I have seed from an edible chrysanthemum.If anybody is intrested in it i will add it

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #110 on: October 06, 2022, 07:13:31 »
Thank you, Ruud. Sounds good. Is it the flowers or the leaves, or both, which are edible?

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #111 on: October 06, 2022, 08:18:52 »
Ooh flowers , brilliant. As I type I am mesmerised by a couple of dahlias ( think I have read tubers edible) and had intended to add seed if I can save , they may not come true but anything near would do. They really are the last hurrah of summer.  I’ll be back with names.

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #112 on: October 06, 2022, 10:08:50 »
The Adam Alexander seeds have arrived they are…. Tomato…African Queen…Raf….Radio and Wild.  Lettuce, Lattughino.
Mange Tout… Luang Prabang. DFB ..Dragon’s Tongue.  Not a high seed count but hopefully enough.  Dahlia ( fingers crossed) Englehardts Matador and Show n Tell, they are only just this side of fabulously vulgar!

ruud

• Hectare
« Reply #113 on: October 06, 2022, 14:47:05 »

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
« Reply #114 on: October 06, 2022, 15:24:25 »
I have a courgette which I hand pollinated and would like to contribute seeds of. It fruited quite early in the season, perhaps by the end of May or early June. It has been of a large marrow size ever since then and pale yellow in colour but, as it was pale to start with, the change in colour isn't at all dramatic. I picked it about 10 days ago.

I'm not sure of the best way to treat it. Should I leave it to mature a bit longer off the vine? This excellent seed-saving series of videos - https://www.diyseeds.org/en/films/ -  recommends a month. If I do that, the seed will still have more than a month to dry out before the end of November which hopefully will be enough. Any advice from anyone who has more experience of saving courgette seed? I'd really hate to open it up before it's mature and viable after having watched it sit there for several months.

I think galina is right JanG. When I saved courgette seeds a few years back I kept the massive courgettes in my kitchen for a few weeks to cure before cutting open and then washing & drying the seed. I think this was after a reply to my 'help!' email to RealSeeds... My abiding memory is that the courgettes were so overripe that they absolutely stank!

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #115 on: October 07, 2022, 05:37:20 »
Ooh flowers , brilliant. As I type I am mesmerised by a couple of dahlias ( think I have read tubers edible) and had intended to add seed if I can save , they may not come true but anything near would do. They really are the last hurrah of summer.  I’ll be back with names.

I have become interested in dahlias this year, having previously been rather stupidly influenced by the way in which they became unfashionable. I grew some from seed this spring, and had an appealing row of smallish plants with attractively varied blooms including a stunning red cactus type. I’m hoping to bulk them up from tubers.
I’d be very interested to try your seed, Markfield Rover, if it ripens in time.
What colours are the two varieties?

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #116 on: October 07, 2022, 05:43:09 »

I think galina is right JanG. When I saved courgette seeds a few years back I kept the massive courgettes in my kitchen for a few weeks to cure before cutting open and then washing & drying the seed. I think this was after a reply to my 'help!' email to RealSeeds... My abiding memory is that the courgettes were so overripe that they absolutely stank!
Thanks for the confirmation, sparrow. I’ve certainly experienced cucumbers quite quickly becoming yellow and squidgy when saving for seed. So far my courgette is stubbornly firm (and odourless) but I’m still hoping for viability. We’ll see.

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #117 on: October 07, 2022, 09:42:21 »
JanG, you can find pictures easily on a search - the tubers seem to be widely available. They are certainly "only just this side of fabulously vulgar" and I'm not sure you could put them in the same border as they would clash!

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #118 on: October 07, 2022, 12:53:48 »
The dahlias are from Sarah Raven , Show n Tell is dinner plate size scarlet and lemon and Englehardts Matador is very hot pink /cerise with violet undertones I have them side by side they certainly do clash …fabulously.

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #119 on: October 07, 2022, 13:09:09 »
I've got a mental picture of the two ugly sisters dressed for the ball in a Cinderella pantomime - wonderful!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal