Produce > Edible Plants

Now I remember

<< < (2/4) > >>

saddad:
You have done well Small, mine isn't even showing yet... Paulh try a shallow raised bed, about 8" is deep enough, the roots don't mind our clay, but the crowns won't stand being waterlogged.

JanG:
I was wondering whether a raised bed, warming up faster perhaps, had brought Small’s asparagus on ahead of the game, but it sounds like yours, Saddad, in much the same part of the world, are also in a raised bed and yet to show.
Different strains perhaps? Half of mine were grown from seed and half bought in, so quite a mixed bunch.

saddad:
The bed I already have isn't raised... but it is my best drained patch... but in the shadow of our toilet block so it doesn't warm up as quickly...

small:
Mine are in a rather neglected end of the plot, heavy clay, next to a drainage ditch which fills to overflowing every winter. Heaven knows how they survive, I can only think I just struck lucky with them - raised from seed sown 38 years ago this week when we moved here! Oh, and the bed is infested with shamrock as well...

saddad:
I'm still jealous though... the first home grown asparagus of the season is well worth waiting for!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version