Allotment Stuff > Locations and Sites

What makes a good allotment?

<< < (2/2)

Glencroft:
Glad to hear such a positive conclusion TG

Those secretaries are ten a penny and thankfully, a dying breed (metaphorically speaking). Just as you say, I think plot holders are staring to realise that the only authority committee members have over you is that which you give them.

BarriedaleNick:
I sort of miss my plot in London.  What I liked about it was that if you wanted to turn your back on the world for a bit then you could - just nod or grunt at your fellow gardeners and they would leave you be to garden in the quiet.  However if I wanted to spend a day chatting and gossiping with them then I could do that too.  I also loved that we were such a disparate group of people who might not have normally met or got on but because we all had something in common it gave us a chance to get to know each other.  Old Irish Tom, Olivier from Belgium, Mike - graphic designer, Mark - gay guy living in a tower block, Sim from Vietnam, Karol from Poland, Gus - First gen OG Jamaican gardener and so on - all walks of life and lifestyles..  Of course we didn't always get on but for the most part it was great to meet and chat to people who I would probably have never met if not for the plot.
I was secretary for well over a decade and I'd like to think we served the members (a private association site) well enough but it isn't always an easy job.  People don't get on, arguments and disputes happen, people don't tend their plot and lots of people were quite happy to moan but never ever stepped up for communal work and jobs..  Sometimes this made me dread going to the plot as you would undoubtedly get accosted by someone moaning about the gate or someone else or a tree or the AGM or whatever.  Overall though it was all good and I miss the camaraderie of working with a bunch of like minded people...

What makes a good allotment site? A committee that works for the members, members that are willing to work communally and in general people who like minded and open to change and different ways of doing things.

Beersmith:
Well a good committee certainly helps, and the committee on my field are excellent.  That said, they are all getting quite old - as am I - and there seems no-one younger interested enough to take over once they get too old to continue.

But a good committee cannot be guaranteed and failing that being a local authority site has advantages.  Local authorities have been running allotments for decades and while some rules are perhaps a bit dated on the whole LA rules are sensible and balanced.  If you get an uppity or dictatorial committee you can usually appeal to the LA allotments officer to apply LA rules and cut out any silliness.

But aside from that what makes for a brilliant allotment is simply being there and growing what you choose.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version