General > Top Tips

2022 What compost are you using this year thread?!

<< < (3/5) > >>

Harry:

--- Quote from: Tee Gee on April 11, 2023, 17:06:19 ---This link along with its related links (see column to right of page) should answer many of the questions you may have in mind, https://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Content/S/Soil-Preparation/Soil%20Cultivation.htm
Plus there is some more info here; https://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Content/A/Allotments/Allotment%20Blog.htm

--- End quote ---
Thank you. Yes. that helps.

--- Quote from: from that site ---"Basically the 'no dig' method is carried out by mulching / spreading a 2”-3” (50-75mm) layer of organic matter e.g. well rotted manure and / or compost annually on to the surface of the bed."
--- End quote ---
Therein lies the rub. INSANE expense!
50mm coverage over the whole 75sq m area would be 3.75 cubic metres =3750 litres=75x50L bags or over £300 worth of added compost per year..... Which would be insane! That's for no-dig.
At the rate of 5 bags per 15 sq m (at £1 per bag) that I applied my rotted muck, I will be spending less than a tenth of that.
If I were to just add growmore 7 7 7 it would cost less than £10 per year, albeit without the texture improvement.

gray1720:

--- Quote from: Harry on April 11, 2023, 16:08:28 ---I have some fresh horse muck. Do I avoid using it and just add it to my compost heap?

--- End quote ---

Yes, give it (at least) a year to rot down, then use it. If it's still got recognisable turds annd straw/shavings, it's too fresh - ideally it should be a nice solid-to-crumbly (depending on the moisture) texture - think fruit cake in appearance.

Harry:

--- Quote from: gray1720 on April 11, 2023, 18:29:51 ---
--- Quote from: Harry on April 11, 2023, 16:08:28 ---I have some fresh horse muck. Do I avoid using it and just add it to my compost heap?

--- End quote ---

Yes, give it (at least) a year to rot down, then use it. If it's still got recognisable turds annd straw/shavings, it's too fresh - ideally it should be a nice solid-to-crumbly (depending on the moisture) texture - think fruit cake in appearance.

--- End quote ---
Thanks. I have sh**-loads of the stuff :)
I wonder if I could trade it with any neighbouring plots, for seeds or green waste or something else useful.

Deb P:
If the texture of the soil looks generally good you might consider just using something like chicken poo pellets for a general fertiliser just raked in before planting/sowing. You never know what you are going to have in the way of diseases on a new plot snd you don’t find out until you try and grow in it!
I keep a note of what crops I sow in each area, what treatment I’ve put on it that year ( eg limed, compost, muck mulch and any problems I find at the end of the season. For example I have two beds which I avoid growing any of the allium family in because of white rot, two beds that dry out very fast and need a big organic tip up of mushroom compost, and one bed that always gets riddled with bindweed so needs digging over and mulching each year with no permanent crops.

JanG:
It sounds as though your loads of horse manure are going to be the way you can avoid expense as in future years it will give you your mulch without spending anything. So I would store as much of it as you can.
You’re very lucky that you have soil with a good texture but that doesn’t stop it being depleted of nutrients by successive crops. Your horse manure will largely see to that but it’s a good idea to check it for nasty herbicides by trying a few bean seeds in it to make sure they grow healthily.
You will need to decide whether you want to grow organically and if you do then chicken manure pellets (if needed) will definitely be preferable to Growmore. Nettle or comfrey tea though will give you a free boost, without possibly needing either bought fertiliser.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version