General > Top Tips

2022 What compost are you using this year thread?!

<< < (2/5) > >>

Paulh:
Bathgate Champions Blend which isn't peat free but was available when I last bought from our allotment association. I'll try some peat free next time I buy.

Deb P:
Quote’ As most of you will know Ji comes as Ji 1, 2 or 3 where the only difference between them is Ji 1 contains 1 measure of Ji fertilser  and 2=2 measures and Ji 3 =3 measures so I add my fertiliser to the "base mix" to suit the mix I require e.g 1/2/3’

I have to confess I didn’t think that was the only difference between the types!
I admire your patience in producing your own compost, particularly microwaving batches to sterilise it, I’m hoping I can purchase a product with somewhere near the quality! 

Beersmith:
Our allotment association has clover brand in stock, so I bought that. I was very surprised to see that it is still peat based.  It's good stuff and cheap (75 litres for £5.50) but not sure it is environment friendly.

At a bit of a tangent inflation is hitting gardening too.  Eight foot canes from the association shop are currently 45 pence each.  But shipping costs have risen so much when the current stock is sold the price will rise to 90 pence each.  Even growing your own can't escape from the cost of living crisis.

Harry:
As a newbie, I'm confused at the whole topic of growing medium/compost/soil, so maybe some of you can help clear up my understanding..

I understand that there's a distinction between true compost and soil, but I'm unsure what is actually on the top layer of my allotment at the moment, and what sort of enrichment is appropriate. According to my neighbour, my plot has not been looked after or fed with fertilizer for a few years. So, much as it looks nice, it may be depleted.

Looking at the soil and giving it a quick dig, I believe it to be a pretty decent, fluffy loam with a tendency to being a bit sandy. No clay, silt, and no obvious stones. I read that loam is the gold standard and should be great for growing most things.

I may be over-thinking this, but this is what puzzles me.... If the soil is so great, then doesn't it constitute a good growing media in its own right, or do I layer compost+mulch on top and grow in that, or do I mix compost into the top of it, or dig compost well into it? Is compost dug deep into it going to be wasted? Is compost dumped on top of it, too rich in nutrients. If the soil is good, do I really need to add compost, or could I just add some growmore?

My quarter plot is divided into 5 rectangles each of about 12 sq m, but the beds are not raised. Just defined by some bits of timber and carpet tiles. If it were raised beds, I could see myself spending a small fortune if I had to add a couple of inches of bought compost, so I don't want to do that if it won't make a difference. After all, in large scale agriculture, farmers don't pop down a thick layer of compost every year?

In the 15m patch that I've sown spuds, so far, I've raked 5 bags of well rotted manure, just mixed into the top 2 or 3 inches or so. Does that sound roughly the right quantity? That's used up my 'good stuff' What, and how much should I need to buy and spread on the other patches, so as to get decent value for money?

I have some fresh horse muck. Do I avoid using it and just add it to my compost heap?

Tee Gee:
This link along with its related links (see column to right of page) should answer many of the questions you may have in mind, https://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Content/S/Soil-Preparation/Soil%20Cultivation.htm
Plus there is some more info here; https://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Content/A/Allotments/Allotment%20Blog.htm

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version