General > The Shed

Goodbye polytunnel

<< < (4/4)

gray1720:
Haven't been out to mine yet - it was so nasty on Sunday I didn't even bother, still got some veg in at home. Will probably look tomorrow. It will be interesting to see what the East fence has collected!

Beersmith:
As it turned out our site took more damage from storm Franklin than Eunice.

Storm effects can be very localised.  I was aware that the Isle of Wight got hit very hard.  Apparently parts of Kent were also hit hard.  The power station at Grain in Kent had one of three exhaust chimneys flattened.

Luckily the former 800 ft chimney had been demolished some years earlier and the old generators removed. Would it have withstood the storm?  Who can say?  A more modern plant based on combined cycle gas turbines came on line in 2010.  Still burning fossil fuel but far more efficient and far lower CO2 emissions than the old coal based units.

gray1720:
Finally got out to the plot today, and it wasn't too bad. Various bits annd pieces strewn about, but we are pretty windswept so stuff migrates East most years anyway - though someone's entire shed is now at 90 degrees to its old orientation.

Disappointingly, I didn't gain anything, bar a very smashed-up plastic flowerpot. The brassica cage is a bit of a mess, but a few squid spent on new connectors and it'll be fine again. Might Guy it next year (at which point we will get Easterly gales and it'll fall over the other way. The celandines are starting to bloom too, so the pollinators will have some sustenance. I know some people think they are an effing nuisance, but we are so wioondswept that they are dying back before it's warm and calm enough to put anything else in, so no trouble at all.

ACE:
I organised a gang of us to clear the pathways of debris and roll a few sheds back on the plots for those who cannot manage on their own  or have childcare problems. A big turn out which and it is pleasing to know that people care about their fellow plotters. There is going to be quite a few bonfires once the wind is blowing away from the few houses in the area.

Obelixx:
Sounds great.  A proper community effort.

Did you win any free beach huts for new sheds?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version