Author Topic: How many raised beds on a standard size site?  (Read 2069 times)

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
How many raised beds on a standard size site?
« on: February 09, 2022, 18:30:56 »
I am switching to using raised beds on my site . I have decided not to grow the potatoes in raised beds and have reserved an appropriate open area at the front of my site for six rows of them.
Calculating how many 4ft by 8ft beds I now need, leaving space for paths in between, it has turned out to be 16! The large number surprised me. Any comments about this. Should I think of growing some types of veg in an open area rather than in a raised bed eg trailing squashes and pumpkins?
My site is standard allotment size. Clay soil. West facing.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Re: How many raised beds on a standard size site?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2022, 19:52:23 »
My ‘standard ‘ size plot is about the same size as a doubles tennis court. I have 13 raised beds on one side which is about 2/3 of the total, and keep the other third as ‘long beds’ the top third of this space are permanent planted things like fruit trees.
 See my gallery for pics.

The beds have 2ft paths horizontally and a 3ft path running vertically the length of the plot. I most recently used chopped down scaffolding boards for the raised bed edges, but they are now rotting fast, so I do not plan to replace any edgings from now on as I have paving slabs on the paths now and don’t really think they are of much benefit. The main advantages are being able to concentrate your efforts to keep the soil in good heart and if you choose decent path material you will not spend more time weeding the paths rather than the beds..took me years to learn this the hard way!

I use an old small poly tunnel frame to grow squash, beans and flowers vertically which saves space, and also use wigwams of poles and stakes to give height or raised beds can look very flat like a child’s tray garden. My only other tip would be to use successional sowing to keep each bed continuously occupied, you may be utilising a bit less space with raised beds compared to an open plot, but you won’t be treading on it and you can tailor each bed to your crop that year (liming or manuring ) much easier.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2022, 21:40:30 »
Thank you both for raising and replying to this topic.

I only have one raised bed ( my asparagus ) but have contemplated moving over to beds rather than conventional growing.  I had a vague understanding that yields were better since soils don't get compressed and stay in better condition plus successional sowing can get neglected when ample space is around.

I'm not getting any younger and a less digging method is going to be needed in the next few years. I will be reading the discussion with interest.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2022, 07:18:56 »
I'm dithering over a new raised bed for some asparagus.. have grown it from seed and now it is ready for a permanent location.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2022, 08:35:27 »
I think a raised bed got the more permanent crops like asparagus would work well; I have rhubarb in one of mine but it’s a bit too close to my shed and subsequently doesn’t get as much rainfall, so during the summer its inclined to bolt and finish prematurely. I’m thinking of moving it to the fruit area and using the at bed for hardy herbs which hopefully will like the more Mediterranean conditions!
One of the many planned jobs for this year…..😂
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

George the Pigman

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2022, 19:36:46 »
Thanks Deb P it looks like from the info you have given my estimate for the number of raised beds is about right!
I already have a fruit area on the plot with two apple trees, rather overgrown raspberries, blackcurrant bushes and blackberries. I have a dug over plot where I grew blueberries in my only raised bed but I am going to replant them in the same area. I also have a dug over plot that usually has strawberries in it and have been toying with the idea of building a 4ft high raised bed in it for them as they do commercially nowadays
I have a friend who is a carpenter /fencer and he suggested we use scaffolders boards rather than gravel board but your experience makes me wonder whether they are better.
What to you use to keep the paths weed free?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 19:39:00 by George the Pigman »

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2022, 20:58:50 »
I used black weed membrane going underneath the scaffold board edges by about 4 inches with recycled/bought paving slabs on top. I tried bare earth at first, but it got terribly weedy, then wood chips but they disappear very quickly and still got weedy, then membrane with wood chips but they never stayed put and the birds peck them everywhere, so eventually membrane with slabs works the best and I wish I’d done it ages ago!

We cut the scaffold boards in half widthways as I didn’t want a high edging and painted them with a preservative but they didn’t last as long as the previous ones we made from old pallet wood! I think the thickness of the planks means water is more inclined to sit on top of the edges which is why they have rotted sooner. If you are stacking yours high I would think they would last longer even when earth filled hopefully!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2022, 10:28:18 »
I'm dithering over a new raised bed for some asparagus.. have grown it from seed and now it is ready for a permanent location.
I picked asparagus in my youth at a small holding, as it really needs loads of water when cropping they always grew it in a trough to run the water into the plants. I expect a raised bed will drain too easily.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2022, 10:29:54 »
Ripped out my raised beds, not a lot of good with a rotovator. So how many on a plot? none. :tongue3:

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2022, 11:58:13 »
I agree Ace, raised beds are far better suited to a no/ minimal dig regime, but I see that as an advantage! When you have limited time (or increasingly the capacity!) to weed and improve the soil by adding compost/manure etc, completely weeding or topping up raised beds is very satisfying and far easier to keep on top of I find. The side of my plot with the ‘long rows’, open soil always look shabbier because it’s harder to keep on top of the couch which comes back every year despite my efforts and would be just spread with rotovating, I still have a Mantis I tried but haven’t used for a few years now…..plus it’s a bugger to start!

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2022, 20:50:13 »
One feature of this site that is quite enjoyable is the gallery photographs that refresh at random showing so many aspects of the allotments we all enjoy.

Purely at random some great images of raised beds popped up the other day. So I took a closer look. I was impressed. Then I noticed "by: Deb P". 

Chapeau!!
Not mad, just out to mulch!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2022, 21:54:54 »
The gallery is great on this site, so much inspiration to be found, best site for that by a mile…I like the random photos too!

George the Pigman

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2022, 20:40:30 »
I had a mantis and eventually I spent more time trying to get it started than using it. At the other end I bought a 3.5HP rotavator and physically can no longer handle it.  Bought a Cobra rotavator that is something in between and its great for me. Starts like a dream and also as it is small enough it will be easy to use on a 4ftx8ft raise bed.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2022, 10:33:11 »
I had a mantis and eventually I spent more time trying to get it started than using it.

I think this is a common problem. I have a newer 4 stroke model but it’s just as bad to start. I gave up taking it down the allotment and bringing it home unused!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal