Author Topic: Greenhouse pics  (Read 13673 times)

wattapain

• Half Acre
Re: Greenhouse pics
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2005, 20:26:32 »
Ooooh Andy you lucky devil, TWO free greenhouses -  I am absolutely green with envy. And the staging as well - how do you do it?  ::)

Your plantslook really great too.  Don't you all agree this is a lovely time of year - all those babies growing away with the promise of all those gorgeous veggies to come!
Think i needa drink!!  ::) ;D ::) ;D
Terri

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2005, 20:41:23 »
Yeah till today and it has started snowing down here near Gatwick! Not much though. Had to put greenhouse heaters on tonight though and fleece the peas at the allotment... Thought summer was here last week, a few weeks ago I got sunburnt at plot. 8)

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2005, 20:55:00 »
Wattapain,

Yes I know, I have bought and sold quite a bit too but greenhouses!?  :o I am going there now to see if I can get a good deal ! ;D

Andy : Wow I am envious !  :D
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2005, 22:57:14 »
I got sunburnt too  :)  Fab greenhouse and lovely staging.  It's amazing what folks chuck in skips..   they must have absolutely no imagination  ;D   Your seeds look healthy and happy so you should get some lovely veggies.  What's going on the vacant bits of shelving?
I came, I saw, I composted

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2005, 23:26:01 »
Not sure, Becky is in charge of that! it will get filled and she will moan about running out of very soon! runners,sweetcorn,celery and spring onions and raddish, are but a few that will be in soon to name a few!

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2005, 15:07:22 »
Finally got my Morrions's greenhouse together.   For £20 I'm well impressed.   It's far bigger than I expected & the built-in shelf is a godsend.

So far have some sunflowers and marigolds a neighbour gave me (she always grows excess).   Have also got aubergine going, should be getting toms, cues, melon & pepper in later this week.

Here's a pic of it.

"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2005, 15:19:59 »
Oh Carrotcruncher ! that looks great !!  Everything looks nice and tidy in there ! Well done !

:D ;)

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2005, 16:07:19 »
CC you finally got it up! Hurrah! I do find mine drips on me often, but for £20, who cares!! (Also every flying creature meets there and can't figure out how to get out! ;D ) I bought a plastic shelving unit from Focus which fits in on the end nicely, and yes mine is already packed to the gunnels!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

supernan

• Half Acre
  • Chief mushroom compost digger, Bud
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2005, 17:09:51 »
Hey EJ your plants are bigger than mine  :'(

Here is my freebie staging, from around the back of my neighbours garage.

I use a mini greenhouse (£9.99) inside the big greenhouse for seed growing. Those few extra degrees make all the difference.

Keep watering
Supernan!!

wattapain

• Half Acre
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2005, 17:21:53 »
"I use a mini greenhouse (£9.99) inside the big greenhouse for seed growing. Those few extra degrees make all the difference"

Now that is a really good idea for all those tender littlle tomato seedlings which would not like those loooow night time temps. Gonna get one sorted on Wednesday.
Thanks, terri  8) :)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2005, 18:20:43 by wattapain »

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2005, 18:09:50 »
Those plassy ones look great!  And for twenty quid, what a bargain!!  Now of course I am thinking, where can I put one!  That sort of thing would be ideal down on the allotment huh.  No probs with broken glass!  Now where is my nearest Wilkos?????!!!!! ;D

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2005, 19:45:13 »
It's too late for Wilkos in my case.

I had put my second lot of morning glory seedlings in the cold frame.  When I opened it the morning after the cold spell we had last week, their secondary leafs had all wilted and they looked rather sick.  I quickly brought them indoors on the windowsill hoping they would pick up but not much is happening.  Although three of them have grown some little leaves today.   I should have probably put them in a greenhouse like you have all done.  :'(

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2005, 21:13:31 »
If I want to increase the temperature I use some cheap food bags from Wilkos. (12p for 25)

I just pop a bag over the plant pot & secure with an elastic band, put a small hole in the bag & then leave it in the greenhouse, every so often I check if it needs watering.   It worked a treat last year for my fuschia cuttings.   I took the cuttings, plopped them in damp compost, covered them with a large food bag, put them in my small greenhouse & ignored them all winter.   They rooted lovely & are now in the open in my back yard.

CC
"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2005, 21:25:40 »
Hi CC

I normally put plastic bags over cuttings - they root much faster that way !

Never thought of doing it for seedlings though. ::).. I will do that next time - Thank you !

wattapain

• Half Acre
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2005, 17:18:42 »
Marianne.,  how did you do on ebay? Did you findanything?
 Large items like greenhouses are tricky cos you have to find one you want in your area as they are usually collect only ( bit big to post!!). Then you have to actually win the auction which can be easier said than done.
I got a bit fed up when I was looking for mine - kept getting outbid on all the local ones, and so when this one came up, I contacted the seller by pm and asked her if she would let me know her reserve price which I thought was a fair one, and she took it off and we did a deal. ome sellere will do that but others won't  but I thought it was worth a try and it paid off for me.
Good luck if you're still looking
Terri

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2005, 18:24:36 »
Hi Terri,

I found stacks of greenhouses, some big and some small - I need a dwarf one ! LOL ::) ;D as hubby says we do not have enough room on the patio.  The garden is tiny  :'(

So I will have to content myself with my cold frame (pic attached)  :'(
I suppose it's better than nothing !
Thanks for asking Terri :)

« Last Edit: April 12, 2005, 18:33:52 by Marianne »

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2005, 18:42:59 »
small garden? Just build a small 3x2 greenhouse which is tall, really tall!
About the height of the house with ladder beside it!

Get loads in it or one really tall sunflower ;D

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2005, 19:05:04 »
The sunflowers are in the coldframe Andy and they will soon be ready for transplanting in the border.  Last year's grew up to 2 metres and I had not even planted it. probably the birds who dropped it there/ :D

The garden is about 12 foot by 10 foot so very tiny but I have lots of pots and containers on the two patios which are about the same size.  I suppose I should be happy to have anything at all !
 :D

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2005, 22:13:06 »
It's alright for you lot with proper greenhouses :P, I've got a 4 foot by 4 foot North facing home made lean too that's packed to the roof, still manage to grow enough to fill the allotment though...............just :-\

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2005, 01:00:15 »
Pleeease everyone who wants a mini-greenhouse, rush on down to your local Robert Dyas - 4-shelves tall for £14.99 - the cheapest I've seen yet, AND they do re-inforced (i.e. thicker) replacement covers for under a tenner...

...and no, I don't work for them - but I'm going to be their best customer!
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal