Produce > Edible Plants

Butternut squash

<< < (2/3) > >>

gray1720:
I can't even remember whether I had any germinate now - the labels on my squash plants have faded to illegibility, and they've merged into one great jungloid mass, so I have to wade through it parting  the leaves to see what I've got. Oops! Maybe when the frosts come I'll find out...

I do know that I've got pumpkins in there - lots of pumpkins!....

Tee Gee:
Here are a few photos showing how I used to grow them;

https://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Content/S/Squash/Squash.htm

ACE:
While we are on the squash theme, I found a packet of mixed squash seeds sent in a mailshot. Tried them out, supposed to be pumpkin, table queen, turks head, butternut, mash potato squash and spaghetti squash. They all came up and I planted most of my plot with them. Loads of fruit but none of them look like any of the pictures I can find online apart from the butternut and turks head. I cut one today as it was hard and ripe. looked like a short marrow. Cut in half and roasted upside down in the hope it was spaghetti. Nope. But it was a fair old contender for mashed potato even if it was orange and bit more fibrous.

Beersmith:

--- Quote from: ACE on August 19, 2021, 17:38:06 ---While we are on the squash theme, I found a packet of mixed squash seeds sent in a mailshot. Tried them out, supposed to be pumpkin, table queen, turks head, butternut, mash potato squash and spaghetti squash. They all came up and I planted most of my plot with them. Loads of fruit but none of them look like any of the pictures I can find online apart from the butternut and turks head. I cut one today as it was hard and ripe. looked like a short marrow. Cut in half and roasted upside down in the hope it was spaghetti. Nope. But it was a fair old contender for mashed potato even if it was orange and bit more fibrous.

--- End quote ---

I've been getting a real bee in my bonnet this season about plants germinating that are not the ones on the packet.  Started with my first Boltardy beetroot that had two distinctly different leaf shapes, bulb shape
/ rings and growth habit.  Same with the celeriac where differences in shape and leaf colour were obvious.  Some mangetout peas were obviously a mix even in the packet, containing some very smooth some very wrinkly.  Once grown my suspicions were confirmed as some had more rounded pods some much flatter.  Now some of my squashes are certainly not the shape they should be. The honey bear are fine but the butternuts are  far  too elongated to be the correct variety.

I'm pretty hacked off about this and will buy from a different supplier next year.  Objectively it hasn't cost me much but it just seems poor customer service and even deceitful to not supply what is advertised. 

Tiny Clanger:
I'm with you on seeds not bning as you thought.  I grow White discus/Custard white Summer squash - nothing like it this season. more like a patty pan in white - not flat discs. and the sweet dumpling I've purchased this time are more like "Harlequin or Delicata with a pointed bottom - an certainly not trailing.  Whats going on?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version