Produce > Edible Plants

Butternut squash

<< < (3/3)

lezelle:
Hi Ya, I would be interested in who you purchased the seeds from Beersmith. I have my doubts about some of the ones I bought. I usually go to Kings though our allotment association but last year they didn't deliver due the pandemic. I bought from a garden centre but am a little disappointed with some. Cheers

gray1720:
I have melons this year because Kings substituted them for the onion I wanted - I didn't complain* as they were ordered through an allotment scheme and, by the time they'd got through my dear mother sending stuff whilst locked down, rather a long time had passed.

Don't get me started on climbing and non-climbing borlotto, though...

*In the circumstances, I don't mind the odd sub, just that melons for onions is a bit off the wall.

Beersmith:

--- Quote from: Tiny Clanger on August 20, 2021, 10:10:52 ---Whats going on?

--- End quote ---

Well I simply don't know.

I bought the bulk of my seeds from Kings, including the specific ones I've had problems with. The committee shop manager is pretty efficient and we got seed orders in and distributed through a letterbox system despite the pandemic.

With courgettes, squashes and related types there is always the possibility of cross pollination which they do very readily.  This is one reason why it is not recommended to save seed from courgettes and why bitter tasting and some even capable of causing mild stomach upset happen occasionally. The odd variant would hardly be surprising.

But what sort of quality control would allow peas seeds to be packeted containing a mix of smooth and wrinkly types?  It should have been patently obvious there were two varieties present.

So I cannot decide if these events are simply errors or actually deliberate.  F1 hybrids can easily be triple the price of well known open pollinated varieties, so mixing with a non F1 would cut the supplier's costs substantially but Boltardy are as cheap as chips anyway. 

So sometimes I think it's a rip off, sometimes I think it's simply mistakes, staff being off, mix ups and nothing deliberate.  What I do think is that we should continue to share our experiences and observations!!

chriscross1966:

--- Quote from: gray1720 on August 20, 2021, 15:45:30 ---I have melons this year because Kings substituted them for the onion I wanted .....

*In the circumstances, I don't mind the odd sub, just that melons for onions is a bit off the wall.

--- End quote ---

They're both round?

gray1720:

--- Quote from: chriscross1966 on October 05, 2021, 10:37:09 ---
They're both round?

--- End quote ---

Both end in "...ons"?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version