Produce > Edible Plants

Seed Saving Circle 2021

<< < (9/27) > >>

galina:
I have also got enough seeds of Zelma Zesta, a pencil podded Climbing French Bean that did really well for me this year.  The alternative spelling is Selma Zesta and a different bean to Selma Zebra, although superficially they resemble each other.  Here is the story of Selma Zesta as written by Remy from Sample Seeds:  http://www.sampleseeds.com/?page_id=7770
This variety has green pods striped with purple. They are stringless. This is an older Parks seed variety that originated from a family heirloom. Some of this bean’s history was described over on the GardenWeb Bean forum by the member Rodger (The supplier of my seeds):
“The Zelma Zesta bean was developed by my wife’s Great Uncle the Late Mr JC Metze. Mr Metze gave me a quart jar of seed in the early 80s. The bean was developed from a family bean that he selected for long tender pods. In the 1960s he sold the patent for the bean to Parks seed company which is about 30 miles from us here in South Carolina. Parks Trialed the bean at their bean grow out farm in Selma Alabama. My understanding from Parks seed is all varieties that were introduced from the Selma Alabama farm used the name Selma. Parks no longer uses the farm in Selma Alabama most seed is generated abroad or in the Western part of the US today. Parks sold the bean in their catalog in the 1960s to early 1970s. So the real name of the bean would have been Selma Zesta, but I use the spelling of Zelma Zesta because that is what is written on the label that Mr JC Metze gave me when he gave me the beans.”

There is a nearly lost variety but now available again from a couple of smaller seed companies in the USA.

Vetivert:
Thanks Galina, all these beans sound lovely. Great to see another Mazlenk bean. The Mazlenk Rumen Visok II from last year's circle was a good one, tasty, tender and stringless. The pods drying for seed are like prunes - completely wrinkled, not a hint of parchment.

I can confirm Boerentenen. Still many green pods, but no rain damage as I had feared.

galina:
Mazlenk is Slovenian and means butter or buttercup.  Buttery soft or butter yellow beans.  I thought for a long time as I had been told by my original donor, that Mazlenk is a family name, but apparently not so. 

ruud:
Here is my list till now,maybe i can offer some more depends on the time needs of drying some late ones.
BEANS:  strecour del piemonte pole variety of merveille de piemonte.
             noir de belgique dwarf bean very old belgian variety of snap bean,picked young.
             paarse johan dutch variety,purple pole bean
             blue coco purple pole bean from french very old variet dated 18 century.
TOMATOES: ayas turkish red tomato indeterminate seize golf ball,great crop.
                  rosamax big red tomatoes indeterminate
                  kozula 125 red with green flames indeterminate from poland golf ball seize
PEPPERS:phrik key nuu one of asian famoust peppers great crop
              dulce pestisor yellow sweet pepper from romania,sweet pepper shaped sweet pepper
              turkish snake hot pepper long red one can be 20 cm long
TOMATILLO: queen of malinalco very big long shaped yellow tomatillo,tastes great fresh.Origanelly from malinalco mexico
This is my contribution to the seedcircle,maybe there will be some surprises depends on time of drying.Have a nice day and greetings from the other side of the pond 

markfield rover:
ruud, that list has certainly put a spring in my step ! So much to look forward to.
The circle maybe a moderate number but it definitely packs a punch. Thank you all.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version