Author Topic: Diseased Raspberries?  (Read 1624 times)

wardy

• Hectare
Diseased Raspberries?
« on: April 07, 2005, 11:57:28 »
When I inherited my sad, neglected plot there were lots of raspberries all over the plot which had spread like mad.  The lotty gaffer told me to dig em all up as they'd be diseased.  We did get rid of lots of them but they are still coming up all over the shop - even where we've had a bonfire!

They look very healthy to me so what I want to ask is should I do as I was told and dig em all up (again) or risk it?  I don't want to buy new if these are perfectly ok.  If they were in fact diseased what would it be and what would be the symptoms?

Wardy
I came, I saw, I composted

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Diseased Raspberries?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2005, 12:03:53 »
If they're growing like that, there can't be much wrong with them??

Disease? Most likely is Mosaic - easily dealt with - not likely to show itself yet.

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2005, 16:56:47 »
One sign of virus, which is a common rasp problem, is grey streaks on the canes which should be visible now (if they are diseased) if not see how they crop. Diseased canes crop poorly.

Our local BBC radio gardening show looks at samples sent in and will give a diagnosis on the air - maybe you have one that does the same

Phil

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2005, 06:42:26 »
I was given similar information regarding the patch I have just cleared and relocated.  "Too old might as well dig 'em up and burn 'em"

Well they are now resited and appear to be growing well. If they all have taken, and they certainly seem to have, I shall look like a raspberry at the end of the year ;D

Derek
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2005, 10:55:10 »
Hi Wardy,
                 Get plenty of root with em when you dig em up and transplant em, put some good muck in hole where they are going.
You will be picking rasps this year ..cheers.. Jim
Cheers .. Jim

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2005, 12:37:02 »
                 Get plenty of root with em when you dig em up and transplant em, put some good muck in hole where they are going.
You will be picking rasps this year ..cheers.. Jim

If they are new canes, it's best not to harvest a crop from them in the first year, let them build up a good root base, but as they are "on trial" how about leaving one to fruit so that you can see whether it's worth keeping them for next year?

Phil

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal