Author Topic: Red Currant Blossoms  (Read 1606 times)

MarthaMad

• Quarter Acre
Red Currant Blossoms
« on: April 08, 2005, 10:20:08 »
I'm new to red currants, Just planted them this Feb.

I have one bosh that have the tinest of leaves on all the branches and also two cascading stem of blossom's

Is it too early for them to be  flowering?  It's a Jonkheer Van Tets.  I know that it is an early variety? But gosh, it barely has any leaves on it.. And it is barely spring.

Should i pinch them out?

Grant

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
Re: Red Currant Blossoms
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2005, 11:36:24 »
There is article in the May Kitchen Garden Page 34 - 36 on Red Currants.  Jonkheer is metioned.  Mulch with rotted manure if you can get your hands on it.  When fruits appear put net over the bush.  The birds love the berries. Enjoy them.  They make lovely jelly to go with roast lamb.

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2005, 12:10:29 »
I'm new to red currants, Just planted them this Feb.

I have one bosh that have the tinest of leaves on all the branches and also two cascading stem of blossom's

Is it too early for them to be  flowering?  It's a Jonkheer Van Tets.  I know that it is an early variety? But gosh, it barely has any leaves on it.. And it is barely spring.

Should i pinch them out?

nooo! You only get one flush per year...
My Jonkheer is almost flowering too. My RedStart is a lot further behind.

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2005, 12:22:25 »
My redcurrants are smothered in blossom, along with my blackcurrants and gooseberries.  I even have flowers on my raspberries.  Don't pick out the flowers or you will loose your crop!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal