Author Topic: New Plot - I have seen the light  (Read 2036 times)

supernan

• Half Acre
  • Chief mushroom compost digger, Bud
New Plot - I have seen the light
« on: April 08, 2005, 08:39:18 »
Hi all

I am new on site and have a new plot. Brief outline of events. Moved into new house on 28 Feb 2005. Got talking to the neighbours and found out that the plot of land to the rear is not being used. Looked like a good allotment to me, found out my landlord owned it so wrote and asked if I could rent it. Well I got the land for free, but he does plan to sell it for developement if he can get planning permission. We all know that can take a while, so I have taken the plunge and decided to grow as much as I can and enjoy it whilst I have the chance.

Here is the plot, measuring 175x30 foot.

My friendly farmer Barry ploughed the end nearest the camera up to the walnut tree in the middle of the picture. Soil on the left is thick claggy clay and we could not harrow this bit as it was too wet. Harrowed rest and just broke the surface on the top half, past walnut tree. The underneath is like rock as it has not been worked for several years. I plan to put up some raised beds there. Plus some tomato houses. Then plough that soil in during the autumn.

I have found a farmer, there are lots round here its very rural, in the picturesque Colne Valley, on the Essex Suffolk borders. He is delivering some manure straight from the cow sheds, I plan to store this for next year. Also phoned round a few horsey friends and have a two year old heap coming when they can get the 4x4 on the field. Also a local farmer supplies mushroom compost, 2 tons,  here's Bud looking for inspiration on top of the heap!

I also have a garden at the house and have bought a third hand greenhouse from a friend. I levelled and cleared the site, built a wood base and put the greenhouse up on my own. It took me four days and kept my neighbours amused. Here is my best helper Bud on guard.

I will keep you posted on progress. Have fun.
Supernan!!

GREENWIZARD

• Hectare
Re: New Plot - I have seen the light
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2005, 08:42:07 »
happy planting ;D
ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ARE COPYRIGHT

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2005, 10:44:02 »
Great plot.  Love the hedgerows - you'll get loads of bluetits etc to eat your aphids.  I have a hedge round two sides of my plot and it's full of birds all singing for me.   

The setting looks idyllic.  Happy gardening.  The dog looks like he's going to enjoy it  :)

I like your hurricane lamp too - I'm after one of those for my shed (not quite built yet)

I came, I saw, I composted

mm-b

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2005, 13:28:27 »
Love the picture of Bud on the manure
He looks like hes having a great time.
Keep posting pictures i love seeing other peoples sites
Melanie :)

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2005, 13:49:59 »
Looks like you are all set up and raring to go just like your namesake 'supernan' or was it 'supergran' cant remember ??? You have been a busy girl.. it all looks fantastic.  ;D
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

supernan

• Half Acre
  • Chief mushroom compost digger, Bud
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2005, 17:27:17 »
thank you mm-b and mimi. I love this site, its great to know that you are all out there rooting for each other. Ha ha good pun LOL.

Have my granddaughter and her friend this weekend, so it will be work on the plot and then "Nan can we....." you know how it goes.

I have borrowed a hedge trimmer, words of warning from farmer Barry, be careful use an RCD as this is the only bit of the old cable left, He shows me about 18 inches (of cable folks). I've had a few accidents over the time says he looking sheepish. Yesterday his holiday was in jeopardy as he had left his car bonnet up, wind had kindly shut it, and he had forgotten to check. some time into the journey bonnet flies up and bends the hinges. I later heard the hammer going.

I get a visit this morning, 'Our holiday is in doubt again'.

Oh dear whats the matter now?'

Fred, my father in law is dog/house sitting. He doesn't feel too well'

'Oh dear, here's my numbers,  he can call anytime'

' Well theres the dogs as well.........'

'Oh dear what's the matter with the dogs?'

'They need walking'

'Oh that's ok they can come with Bud and me' (Forgetting I also have the two girls)

'Yes but there is Fred's dog as well'

So now at 7am tomorrow, its 2x 10 year old girls, 2x collie dogs, 1x ancient black lab, 1x Loony Bud and me. I am taking the camera...........Watch this space. (And he's on holiday for 3 weeks.)

;D :o :-X
Supernan!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal