Produce > Edible Plants

Impressed by Aeron Purple Star runner bean

<< < (3/4) > >>

JanG:
Thanks. I’ll observe and hope to have a go at what you suggest.
My attempts at bagging runner bean flowers haven’t been at all successful so far. Needs a biggish bag which is quite heavy for the poor flowers. I need to refine my technique!

lezelle:
Hi Ya, The purple runners I managed to save were the earliest ones to show. I still have a very few that I will try. Runners are notorious for cross pollinating with others so if any others are grown near you this may be why they are greenish. A lot of my later ones were the same. I am interested in the bagging idea and would like to see some piccies of the bags fitted to give a head start. Do you also hand pollinate? I have a friend who I gave some purple runners to as he grows in his back garden and may have better luck. Rob, (god rest him), was isolated on a smallholding I believe so was able to really isolate the plants. Happy gardening all.

JanG:
As far as I know cross pollination would only affect next year’s crop if I try to save seed and grow again so I don’t think cross pollination in my garden can be producing these green beans. It will have happened last year or earlier before the seed was saved and offered.
When (hope!) I get a good purple bean producing plant, I’ll try to bag the blossom and post a pic. Bag is at the ready!

galina:
Yes, this is right Jan  :wave:

JanG:
An update on Aeron Purple Star. As Galina said, I’ve found that some pods stay purple just down the edges but some achieve a satisfying purple as they age. The drawback to my mind is that on the whole you seem to need to leave them later than I normally would if you want purple beans, so I end up picking them when still green.

I haven’t yet succeeded in bagging blossom as the bag has been too heavy for the raceme (is it a raceme? Do wish I’d done Biology at school!) Must have another go.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version