Produce > Edible Plants

Impressed by Aeron Purple Star runner bean

<< < (2/4) > >>

JanG:
I would be interested to hear of any news, Where did you get the seeds from JanG. I will search for the site again as it may of been resurrected. Any info would be most welcome
lezelle, you can still request APS seeds from this website: https://aeronvale-allotments.org.uk/aeronpurplestar/ - but they have sold out for this year.
The site mentions a couple of 'triallers', so perhaps Gwilym has one or two people helping with the growing.
Beyond that, I'm afraid I don't know about any network around the beans but interesting to hear your experience of a few years ago.
I just requested 12 seeds and used all but one or two, which is why I'm keen to save seed if I can.

JanG:
Having said how impressed I was by Aeron Purple Star runner beans for their earliness, I picked the first four beans yesterday.

Certainly early but hardly purple at all, just a hint on one pod, so a bit less impressed now. I'm hoping that this won't be the whole story but rather disappointing at the moment

galina:
This echoes my experience  They get more purple as the pods age, but quite a number never get purple. :wave:

JanG:
Does that mean that to get purple pods you have to wait till they're really tough and stringy?!

galina:
No some seemed to get purple quite young, others at stringy maturity, and some never.  I asked for more seed to see whether this had now been selected out which I didn't get to grow this year.  It looks to me like the one with a hint of purple would have eventually got fully purple, the others would have stayed green

My original seeds were from a long time ago, when they first came out.  Before Rob (who briefly was active on here too) had taken over and reported all purple in the seeds he multiplied.  Not sure what happened since and it is difficult to keep runners pure breeding,  Mark the plant where the partially purple pod and any further came from and if you collect pure seed from those (bagged) and keep doing it for a couple or three years, you should have a pure breeding strain

Pity that it does not seem to have been selected to be pure breeding already.  I also had differences in length and width of pods.  They should all be the same.   

Maybe keep observing for a little longer and see how many will be purple and which ones will definitely not  :wave:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version