Author Topic: seed line markers  (Read 1313 times)

ACE

• Hectare
seed line markers
« on: June 25, 2020, 12:03:05 »
You sow your seed, bung a stick in each end. Strim the edge of the plot, bang goes the sticks.  Where has the row gone when you want to walk down the rows?. Easy line marker is at hand. Collect all those old radish pods, shake out the seeds and mix a few of them with your packet of seeds before sowing. Two days later the hidden seed row is there for everybody to see. Pull them out when thinning and eat them.

Hepsibah

• Not So New ...
Re: seed line markers
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2020, 12:49:28 »
I did this with my parsnips. Worked very well. Getting a bit tired of eating radishes now and so are my missus, my kids, all my neighbours, the cat...

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2020, 22:55:12 »
It also helps identify any slug/snail problem nearby before the parsnips germinate... less radish to feed the cat too!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2020, 10:34:54 »
Other than broad beans I've given up sowing seed direct.   The soil is OK for fertility but it's not yet fine enough for small seeds and can be very dry so I sow seeds, prick out and plant bairns at the appropriate distance.   

This also protects plants from OH who is an intermittent but blitz weeder, even stuff growing in straight rows.   He does now recognise garlic, onion and leek babies and we have netting over the brassicas which gives him a clue and twisty metal posts next to the tomatoes, chillies and cucumbers......... 
Obxx - Vendée France

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal