Author Topic: Planting squashes in a muckheap  (Read 1671 times)

Hepsibah

• Not So New ...
Planting squashes in a muckheap
« on: May 02, 2020, 19:29:09 »
I have two Crown prince squash plants hardened off ready to plant out but I'm nervous. I'm planning to plant them in a heap I've made consisting of a pile of weeds dug out of my beds covered with a foot or so of three year old deep littered sheep muck out of a barn. I'm told it should be fine by the no dig folk but I only have two and don't want to lose them. I love Crown Prince squashes. Help!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Planting squashes in a muckheap
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2020, 19:42:37 »
I always grew my Pumpkins this way and as Squash are of the same family I don't see any problem!

This is how I grew my Pumpkins:

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Content/P/Pumpkin/Pumpkin.htm

Click on the photos to enlarge them!

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2020, 20:03:03 »
Fully agree with Tee Gees advice but would only add:

Consolidate the heap to maximise water holding ability
Fully control slugs
Insert twiggy sticks to prevent the developing stems 'whiplashing' if windy conditions occur in the first month.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2020, 10:56:11 »
My parents used to grow squashes in the muckheap, which consisted of years of excavatings from the goatshed, and must have stood about four feet high. I think they'll be OK!
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2020, 12:55:43 »
I don't plant my squash out until June, but your compost heap sounds fine!
 I grow mine upwards and use a polytunnel frame to drape them over. Just protect the stem at all costs, try a cut down milk carton or water bottle if you can get one, something wide enough it can stay on the whole season and a physical barrier to slugs and to protect from wind rock as already suggested, I usually mark it with a cane so you know where the plant is for watering and feeding reasons as once they get going you wont be able to tell where it was planted!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2020, 20:50:46 »
Yes they do well on muck heaps. Lots of moisture retentive material and nitrogen. I remember when we had  a holiday in the mountains of Andalusia many years ago there was a muck heap near the house we were staying and it was full of squash and pumpkin. I don't think they were sown there deliberately. They probably grew from discarded seed from the kitchen when preparing the squashes.

ThomsonAS

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2020, 20:44:35 »
The downside to growing crops on your heap is that you can't turn it - but if that's not a problem for you, go for it.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal