Author Topic: NEWBIE - HI FOLKS  (Read 6553 times)

supernan

• Half Acre
  • Chief mushroom compost digger, Bud
NEWBIE - HI FOLKS
« on: April 06, 2005, 09:49:12 »
Hi to all, I am a Newbie on this site and have just taken on a large piece of land, about 1/3 acre. I have done this sort of thing before so not a newbie to allotment gardening, this is just much bigger!. It has not been worked for 3 years, hard as a rock. Friendly farmer  :)  has ploughed and harrowed. Still got lumps in but not too many weeds as farmer has kept them down over the years. I have one helper,  pictured on my profile. He was very pleased with this mornings two ton delivery of mushroom compost and started digging right away. I am expecting a bad back aches and pains, but hopefully lovely fresh veg!!

I have just moved into the area and the locals are watching with great interest to see what is afoot. There was no green house so I have put one up  with a wooden base in the garden.  Its full already I now need another. The postman has already ordered his tomatoes, so it looks like I am going to settle in just fine.

When I get the hang of this site a bit better I'll put some pics on for you to see progress. Happy digging, Supernan & Bud
Supernan!!

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
Re: NEWBIE - HI FOLKS
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2005, 09:53:09 »
Hi Supernan, sounds very exciting, welcome to A4a.
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2005, 09:53:22 »
Welcome to the site.  It is a wonderful place full of so much help, support, enthusiasm and humour.  You sound to have settled in to your new home quickly, I hope you and Bud have many happy years there.

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2005, 09:59:13 »
welcome aboard :)

not being able to imagine how big 1/3 acre is (how big is that????) what are you planning to grow and who are you going to feed??

svea
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2005, 10:45:57 »
Hi and welcome Supernan ;D a third of an acre does sound big to me, can't wait to see some photo's of your progress 8)

windygale

• Acre
  • http://spaces.msn.com/windyspot/
    • www.rushall.org.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2005, 11:14:32 »
Hi Superman & bud, welcome to the site, enjoy yourself, dont do to much at one time, try to sow things and see some results for your troubles, then move on to a new section, keep adding the compost.
windy ;)
my allotment
heaven

Sarah-b

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2005, 12:03:06 »
All sounds really exciting - how did you get the land? Did you buy it from the farmer?

Sarah.

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2005, 12:09:24 »
Hi Superman and Bud!

Well you are going to be busy, makes my little patch seem like a postage stamp.

What area do you live in?

Good luck and happy eating,

CLx

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2005, 13:11:36 »
 Hi Supernan & Bud, welcome aboard this great site.  Let us know when everthing is ready and we shall all come to home grown lunch. ;D ;D.

Regards Rosebud  happy digging, not to much to soon. :D

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2005, 16:05:28 »
Hi and welcome to the boards. wow are you going to have time to post with all that land? I've trouble keeping up with my pots. Good luck.Val.
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

supernan

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2005, 21:47:06 »
Hi Superman & bud, welcome to the site, enjoy yourself, dont do to much at one time, try to sow things and see some results for your troubles, then move on to a new section, keep adding the compost.
windy ;)
Thanks 4 your advice. Land has determined extent of use!! some is too claggy, some too hard to use, even the plough struggled. So I am working half the width to the walnut tree and any other bits that I can force a plant into! Supernan
Supernan!!

supernan

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2005, 22:28:30 »
 :) Thanks 4 all your replies and suggestions. i have measured the plot 175x30ft. Someone work out how much of an acre that is please!!!!  ???

I am only using part of the site, due to some being so claggy and some so hard the plough did not cope. It does mean a rather odd looking shape to the piece to be planted but who cares if it grows I will be happy. I'll get to the rest next year. I have planted three rows of spuds, Duke of York and two rows of peas Dorian. Just had to get something in it looked so bare and soooooooooooo big!!!

Can some IT aware gardener tell me how to post pictures??  :D

Supernan!!

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2005, 09:06:26 »
Welcome supernan! (thats my Mum's name too ;D)
To post piccies I use photobucket, I find it easy to use.
http://photobucket.com/
Just upload to here from your computer, resize, copy bottom url and post!  (hope that makes sense!)
Welcome aboard  DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

TULIP-23

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2005, 17:59:18 »
Supernan and Bud

Wishing you a very warm Welcome here on A4A

Enjoy the site great folks here
Sometimes its better to listen than to talk

supernan

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2005, 20:02:14 »
Hi folks here are the pics as promised. DP I love you thanks for the advice as you see success!! Bud outside the greenhouse. Built by my own fair hand, cleared site and did the wood base too!! Yes it is level, ground has a slope check the roof line, perhaps I was a bit tipsy when I took this one.

Allotment from end furtherst from home. Home is behind the stable at the end of the plot.

I have planted three rows of Duke of York spuds and two rows of Dorian peas. It just looked soooooooooooooooo big and empty.LOL Site looks better than it is, to the left up to the walnut tree it is thick claggy clay, thats being left till next year. The top end has just been harrowed on the top surface not ploughed. I am going to put some raised beds here.

Bud has been supervising from the top of the mushroom compost heap. Oh look her he is what has he found now???????????

More planting tomorrow. Going to couch potato now. Cheers  ;D
Supernan!!

eileen

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2005, 20:20:24 »
Hi there Superman and Bud,

Sounds as if you're both going to be mighty busy in the near future. Great plot you have there.  :D I have a third of an acre of land too but not a lottie - purely gardens. Just been digging out a new pond, bog garden and waterfall area.  If you want a peek look under Ponds 'n stuff.

Glad you've joined us and DO keep us updated with your progress won't you?

EILEEN.

Life is like nectar sweet but sometimes sticky.

supernan

• Half Acre
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2005, 22:12:18 »
Here are the takeaway curry containers, washed and in full production on the window sill, south facing and radiator assisted.

As soon as seedlings emerge take off the lids. No holes in the base of the container. Water just enough to keep soil damp. I cover seeds with vermiculite, it seems to aid germination and I don't get any damping off troubles. Toms were up in 5 days, oregano too.
Supernan!!

supernan

• Half Acre
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2005, 21:47:00 »
:) Hi I have a rotovator coming!!! Watch out clay soil your time is up.

My new friend, Beryl, introduced by another friend, Bernie, has downsized house and garden. No longer needs rotovator but needs to learn eBay and computers. So I am doing a swap, teaching her the computer and I get the rotovator. How's that for good bargaining?? Oh she may just get some veg as well.
Supernan!!

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2005, 10:48:09 »
Hi supernan     Got meself a hurricane lamp off ebay £0.99 so I can light up my lovely second hand shed (why, I don't know  ;D) but I'm sure there will be times when it's dark and I'm on the plot  :)

It's national downsizing week next week and it's already reaping it's benefits for you with your new rotovator.  Hope you can get it started without getting a hernia or frozen shoulder  ;D

I came, I saw, I composted

supernan

• Half Acre
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2005, 19:13:54 »
 :D Hi wardy

How do you get time for all these posts?? You must never sleep!!

I have megga muscles worked in a riding school until end of Feb this year, mucked out 9 to 15 horses a day. Four hours a day although the 15 took an extra hour, so starting the rotavator should be ok, I have a mountfield mower and I can start that. Got that one from Essex Radio bargain line. Bought it cos it has electric starter and then found I can do the pull thingy. First time I used it I was doing wheelies cos I had the throttle on full belt, neighbour nearly wet himself laughing. LOL
Supernan!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal