Author Topic: How's everyone doing?  (Read 9411 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
How's everyone doing?
« on: March 28, 2020, 17:12:58 »
I haven't been on here much since moving to Northumberland- no allotment, a small garden and a busy life- well, until recently! But I was wondering how everyone is coping? Are allotments still open? I wouldn't have had much trouble staying 2m away fromeveryone on mine, but I did have to drive to it, so not sure if that would be allowed now.

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
Re: How's everyone doing?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 20:00:24 »
The allotments are open as Mr Gove confirmed they count as your once a day exercise. However it is unclear whether one can drive to them or not. Each police authority seems to have interpreted the rules slightly differently - mainly because they weren't given much guidance in the first place. I am sure they will eventually agree a common policy.
The head of the National Allotment Society has written to Mr Gove asking for clarification of the driving issue and we are awaiting his response.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2020, 21:08:47 »
Well if you drive yourself there, you are not in contact with anybody, therefore in isolation.  Cannot see how that is a problem.  Just don't give anybody from outside your family a lift.  :wave:

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2020, 09:28:59 »
Hi Caroline, I'm still working as a midwife, so life is certainly challenging at the moment! Our hospital has confirmed cases of Covid 19 and things are changing daily, but babies are still being born of course so we carry on, mostly with good cheer in difficult circumstances.
 I have been terribly neglectful of my lottie to date, but the recent improved weather has meant I've caught up with our garden at home, and the propagator is full at last! Now the clocks have gone forward I'm looking forward to the lighter evenings, and I have had a seed cull of my stored seeds and organised this year's lottie planting plan, just need to get down there next week when I have a few days off in a row!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2020, 16:07:55 »
Well if you drive yourself there, you are not in contact with anybody, therefore in isolation.  Cannot see how that is a problem.  Just don't give anybody from outside your family a lift.  :wave:
Same if you drive to the usually deserted beach where we usually walk our dog, but they are cracking down on this. Just grateful we've got lots of countryside around us, even if it means the same walk most days.
Stay safe, everyone.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2020, 16:31:43 »
We have been on lockdown for 2 weeks now and have to carry a signed paper saying who we are and why we're out if we do go out and include the time we left.  That means OH goes out once a day to walk the dogs in the nearby lanes.   No question of driving anywhere scenic for walkies, including local beeches.   I go out once week to the weekly shop and the only shortage so far has been OH's favourite Belgian beers.  Others were still available so he's OK.

No visitors and no outings to our usual golf, dance classes, patchwork groups and mosaic so lts getting done in the house and garden - decorating, sorting, cleaning, tidying - veg plot is being steadily weeded and planted or prepared for plants; polytunnel cleared ready for tomatoes and chilies; garden shed sorted and cleaned and organised; wood has been chipped; raspberries transplanted to a new bed in the veggie plot - the previous owners had them bang in the middle of the grass where I'm planning a new shrubbery and tree bed for wildlife.   

There's blossom on the fruit trees and even some asparagus coming thru this year but not enough to harvest yet.   Compost heaps are looking good.   The main problem i snot being able to get out for plug plants, seed compost which will run out soon, the builders' rusty mesh I was planning to use to build my fruit cage this spring and the plywood I need to insulate a former donkey shed which will become a hen house.

Stay safe everyone and, if necessary, grow herbs and veggies in pots and window boxes.

Obxx - Vendée France

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2020, 17:27:23 »
We have been on lockdown for 2 weeks now and have to carry a signed paper saying who we are

Worse than the war years!

Looks like I will have to dig out my Identity Card (which I kept for posterity) if such a rule come to the UK

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2020, 17:34:41 »
It's not a problem Tee Gee but does help the police sort the idiots from the ones obeying the STAY AT HOME rules.  There are now curfew in many towns as people are still treating it like a holiday rather than a crisis  and it's the younger people who seem to think they are invincible and haven't realised that they risk passing t on to their own vulnerable friends and rellies.

I have never understood resistance to carrying ID cards and the info on the modern chipped ones now also includes health info allergies, diabetic, heart etc in case of accident.  If you're a law abiding citizen what's the problem?   It doesn't mean you're living in a police state.
Obxx - Vendée France

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2020, 10:33:17 »
The resistance to identity cards is very ingrained here, despite the fact that we all now carry "cards" that carry far more personal data than the wartime identity cards... I have a few from departed relatives... not being old enough to be in the war!
My personal gripe is the shopping "rules" OH works in the NHS but is at work when the Supermarkets have their "special" openings. I can't do it for her... equally I found a local supermarket selling growbags... but only two at a time... so i had to go back several times, instead of just one trip. I have my tomato seedlings to pot on... but a very limited amount of compost... turned one of my bins at the weekend to stretch it.

MervF

• Half Acre
  • Poole, Dorset
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2020, 10:57:18 »
I am sure that I saw somewhere yesterday where Mr. Gove had said we could drive to our allotment but now cannot find it.   My allotment is about 2-3 miles away and I would like to prepare the ground for potatoes but I could not walk that far and back as I have a bit of osteoarthritis in my right knee.   I did contact the police to ask them and they did not know.   I believe the National Allotment Society are trying to fine out but nothing on their website yet.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2020, 15:43:32 »
I am sure that I saw somewhere yesterday where Mr. Gove had said we could drive to our allotment but now cannot find it.   My allotment is about 2-3 miles away and I would like to prepare the ground for potatoes but I could not walk that far and back as I have a bit of osteoarthritis in my right knee.   I did contact the police to ask them and they did not know.   I believe the National Allotment Society are trying to fine out but nothing on their website yet.

I think that you will be fine. See this from the Guardian.
www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/mar/24/uk-lockdown-gove-tries-to-clarify-confusion-over-rules

I have also found a reference upon the Surrey Police Facebook site
www.facebook.com/pg/SurreyPolice/posts/?ref=page_internal
"
Mike Hingston I'm 61 years old and have copd emphysema ( very mild ). Can I drive to my allotment and work it. It gets me actively exercising and I'm growing food stuff that will still be in short demand in the summer months.
I would like Surrey police to reply as I don't want to be fined. Thankyou

Most Relevant is selected, so some replies may have been filtered out.

Surrey Police
    Author
    Surrey Police Hi Mike, Sorry it's taken a day to get back to you. Cabinet Minister Michael Gove thought it was "perfectly sensible for people to go to an allotment" so please feel free to enjoy some time on your allotment. Of course, rules on social distancing apply as with all other activities outside the house. Please try not to drive there if that's possible."

www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/mar/24/uk-lockdown-gove-tries-to-clarify-confusion-over-rules
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 15:53:00 by ancellsfarmer »
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2020, 19:42:07 »
I don't understand, why do they suggest  folks don't drive if they are allowed to go to the lotties?
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2020, 19:57:06 »
To avoid the risk of accidents which would then use up emergency resources from police, ambulance and maybe fire services and then treatment in a hospital where staff don't need stupid, avoidable distractions.

Car journeys should therefore be kept to a minimum and undertaken with care.
Obxx - Vendée France

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2020, 00:42:31 »
Of course that makes perfect sense, thank you XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2020, 08:34:14 »
"The Guardian has learned that the National Police Chiefs Council (NPCC) and College of Policing are rushing through guidance reminding officers that despite politicians’ warnings they cannot bar people from going for a run or a drive."
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/mar/30/uk-police-guidelines-coronavirus-lockdown-enforcement-powers-following-criticism-lord-sumption

This quote (also mentioned by Ancellsfarmer above) is from the Guardian and it indicates that sensible driving is not forbidden.  And that there has been a measure of overzealous police behaviour.  Driving to the peak district for exercise which could be done at home is not exactly in the spirit of lockdown, but a necessary drive to the allotment for exercise or for looking after lifestock, when the allotment holder cannot easily walk or cycle there, is fine.  Providing the social distancing rules are being kept to.  :wave:
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 08:54:45 by galina »

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2020, 10:15:01 »
I suppose its the sudden shock of meeting the general public, after years of not doing so, that has caused the ridiculous reports of over zealous buffoonery but personally I think it is excessive to restrict movement "in case it causes an accident".
 Notwithstanding that, it is of course necessary to perform and record your 'risk assessment' of each and every movement and task that you consider.Obviously you will need to not use any instrument that could be harmful or injurous, no substance that might be dangerous or toxic, nor venture upon any ground that might be uneven or of unknown content.Biological hazards, such as stored rainwater and non sterilised compost will need to be avoided or special handling equipment used.
Do not purchase any 'non-essential' items, such as hot cross buns, confectionery, especially Easter Eggs that may be associated with Christian festivals , for fear of causing offence to non -believers.
Beware the irksome Jobsworth!
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2020, 10:27:35 »
OH's prescient wisdom knows no bounds... when I wanted an allotment in 1990 she said I couldn't have one unless it was directly behind the new house (She was expecting our second so we were looking to move out of our two bedroom terrace) as she would never see me. Now we have five plots on a site behind our house... no driving necessary...

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2020, 10:59:55 »
London is now very odd. 
Most people are just being sensible and staying at home and those that are out and about are driving very carefully - bar the odd one or two.  Roads are very quiet and there was only one person on the plot yesterday. 
I will go to the plot if I need to and at the mo there isn't that much to do.
Latest guidance from NSALG is

We think that now is the time to consider working your plot in isolation i.e. not with household members and if you can stay away for a few weeks to do so.

It is if course only advice!

What I am amazed by is the willingness of people to give time, energy and resources to others.
We have a couple of amazing local groups that have sprung up - one to support NHS workers at our local hospital https://www.facebook.com/HelpLewishamHospital/and one really local one to support vulnerable people on our street - not only that but there are dozens of groups locally, all self organising to help the local communities.  It's fantastic.. 

I think we are the lucky ones - we have an outdoor space to escape to when millions of people are isolated in flats and blocks.

Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

pumkinlover

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2020, 13:02:51 »
The observer over the weekend had an article about shortage of agricultural workers and pickers due to ****** and the virus. I think growing your own food may be very useful thing to have done.
I feel for the people who live in flats and apartments, I can't imagine it in the best of times let alone now.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2020, 23:50:35 »

Re the corona virus

It becomes a bit blurred at the edges when on has to keep up with 4 countries rules. Me and some famly  here in Canada, my son in Holland, my mothers family in the UK and my US friends just over the border.There seems to be so much mis information too so it is hard to get a handle on it.

Maybe this isn't the right place so forgive me, but can someone fill me in as to what it is like over there.My niece came over from the UK for a few weeks last year and was planning to come back this year but it would seem not much chance of that. We get very little info about the UK virus here that I feel a bit in the dark and don't like it.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal